Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

sorry guys, couldn't find an image of this one.

Signatory's Un-Chillfiltered Collection: Bladnoch 1990 (13 years)

Lowland malt, matured in a bourbon barrel, 92 proof. $66 at my local (overpriced) liquor store.

Very light, yellowish color.

I opened the bottle a couple of nights ago, and tried it out with a splash of water, which is how I usually drink my scotch.

Smokey nose and initial taste, lending its way to a sweeter, almost citrus-y flavor as it went down. Slightly oily mouthfeel.

All in all, a much more complex scotch than its almost-translucent color led me to believe. I was a big fan.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM

Crown Royal Deluxe Canadian Whiskey (30 Years)

The most popular Canadian whiskey - this is the drink of choice for me and my friends. It is derived from a blend of "super-premium whiskies" , and is aged in white oak barrels, which gives it a slightly oaky taste. You will also get a vanilla-ish flavour to it as well. It's also very smooth and has a long-lasting aftertaste. It does have a little bite to it though. It is overall a very enjoyable taste, but I do prefer Gibson's because it's smoother.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Old Potrero, 18th Century Style Whiskey
Single Malt
100% rye malt aged in uncharred oak barrels
125.1 proof

When I was young I used to like whiskey but in recent years it's been strictly gin for me. Anchor Steam makes one of my favorite gins, Junipero, and they also make the whiskey above so I thought I would give it a try.

Unlike their beer I beleive their spirits are only available out west.

They have attempted to recreate the wiskey made in the early Americas. I bought a bottle a while ago from BevMo ($25?) and this thread inspired me to taste it again with a little water as recommended.

Conclusion: I'm not at all qualified to describe it's taste, it's not unpleasant, and it kind of grows on you.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Michael Collins Irish Whiskey
80 Proof

I'm not a fan of bourbon or scotch, but I like the mild sweeter whiskeys like Crown and Jameson. This is sweeter than either, with a lot of a vanilla flavor. I liked it overall, and if I get into the store before the sale is off I'll buy at least one more bottle to keep around for a while.

It works well for me, but I wouldn't pay the retail price for it. It was on sale for St. Patrick's Day, normally runs at $29, on sale for $17.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey

I have to admit, I was skeptical. They make such a huge point out of making such badass bourbon. The fancy racing-horse topped bottle with the wax seal, the handwritten individual number...too good to be true.

Wrong. This is crazy good. How many bourbons are delicious neat? Not many IMO. This is a 93 proof sippin' bourbon, smooth as a saddle and twice as warm. Like a sweet scotch, it's creamy and mellow and not at all harsh. Put any Coke or sour mix near this and you'll have to deal with me.

A.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Elijah Craig, 12-year-old bourbon.

In my opinion, this stuff is awful. It's got a metallic taste to it that I can't get beyond. It runs $27-$30 retail, and I swear I've had it before and just don't remember it tasting like this.

Anyone else?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Bowmore 16 year limited edition...sherry matured and cask strength

This is one of the better scotches I have ever had. It was purchased at Park Ave Liquors in NYC. For those of you who enjoy Scotch, this is a great place. They have a serious, serious collection of single malts (400+). Check out their website which is always updated.

On to the scotch, apparently they made 39 casks of this stuff and when its gone, its gone, so try it soon. Its very strong at 107 proof, but it is still sweet when it hits the tongue. The nose is a dark chocolate/fruity taste combined with great Bowmore smokiness. There is a slight salty spicy flavor that accompanies this initial rush. It retailed for 102 dollars I believe, its worth it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM

I like all these fancy whiskeys, and I cant wait to try them. Nevertheless any chance I get I drink:

Old Grandad whiskey. Mellower than Beam or Jack and twice as cheap (well, not twice, it retails for 20$ or less, shots in the bar often 1$ cheaper.)

Doesnt have the headache aftertaste of other cheap-o burbons and can be sipped carefully backed by an amber ale. Red like Bulliet but not as oaky. I started drinking it because the hero in George Pelecanos' Nick Stefanos mystery novels drank it all the time. Goes well with spicy food, like fried chicken or a po-boy. Drink it warm and neat, good for the soul.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Thanksgiving is a scotch-drinking holiday for me, as it's permissible to imbibe at noon. This year I purchased the following:

I haven't researched what year this is, but it appears to be the mid-upper range of what the distillery offers. It's quite iodine-y, somewhat smoky, not super-peaty. It's lighter and less rich than the other typical Islays. Not cheap, I spent $100 at my local store. B+ is what I'd give it, I can't imagine getting it over Lophraigh or Lagavulin. Still, I'm glad I tried it (pun intended).
Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 AM

Since most of the scotches I usually drink have been reviewed I'll go high end. The best scotch I've ever tasted is the Macallan Fine Oak 30 year. It's dryish, medium bodied, just the smoothest scotch I've ever tasted. It should be at $650 a bottle.

(I saved the case)