Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster?

get a portable dvd player and a ps2. its all super small and u can get halfway thru an rpg or something on the way over there. almost every airplane i have ever been on has those lil car charger plugs, and u can get a converter that lets u plug in normal stuff. thts def the way to go.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is with people and portable DVD players? Save the money and play dvd's on your laptop...

[/ QUOTE ]

mine has two headphone jacks so two people can watch the movie in flight...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these, so two of us can watch movies on the laptop... no dvd player necessary:
Headphone Splitter
Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Sorry to derail your thread but I have a question about finding the type of plane you're flying. Where can I find this without calling my airline?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to derail your thread but I have a question about finding the type of plane you're flying. Where can I find this without calling my airline?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to find flight schedules on the airline's website. On the schedule, they will list the plane type. For example, for Delta, you go here, input your date of travel and from/to cities, and find your flight on the list.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'2" and fly alot. If I'm to late for an upgrade to first class, I feel I'm screwed. My legs never have enough room and always in pain unless I get lucky with seats in front of coach. I found the best trick for this is to arrive at airport real early and don't do computer check in. Explain to counter person your problem, It could be bad back, being too tall or whatever. I have been given free first class upgrades as well as they have changed peoples seats and gave me roomier ones by the escape hatches and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does this work?

so you get to the airport like 3+ hours before takeoff, you are booked for a normal coach cramped seat. you ask the person at the counter for an upgrade into business or first class. do they charge you extra right there? are you gonna be paying the same premium as if you would have booked it in advance?

or i mean, i dont understand, do they just do it first come first serve and give you free upgrades to first/business class? cause if they are gonna charge you the same ridiculous 6x premium then whats the point of showing up early? just book the damn thing
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'2" and fly alot. If I'm to late for an upgrade to first class, I feel I'm screwed. My legs never have enough room and always in pain unless I get lucky with seats in front of coach. I found the best trick for this is to arrive at airport real early and don't do computer check in. Explain to counter person your problem, It could be bad back, being too tall or whatever. I have been given free first class upgrades as well as they have changed peoples seats and gave me roomier ones by the escape hatches and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does this work?

so you get to the airport like 3+ hours before takeoff, you are booked for a normal coach cramped seat. you ask the person at the counter for an upgrade into business or first class. do they charge you extra right there? are you gonna be paying the same premium as if you would have booked it in advance?

or i mean, i dont understand, do they just do it first come first serve and give you free upgrades to first/business class? cause if they are gonna charge you the same ridiculous 6x premium then whats the point of showing up early? just book the damn thing

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing. You show up early and like the OP said, tell them since you are tall, and it's not good for your back or knees to sit down in a small seat for hours on end. They don't want to create a fuss and risk looking bad, especially if you hurt yourself. If there are a lot of empty seats available, they will do it free of charge.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:55 PM

I fly back to the US about twice a year or so. I usually ask for an upgrade and get it 75% of the time. It costs (for United) $500 to upgrade (economy to business) from Buenos Aires to DC or vice versa. They rather pocket some cash then keep the seat open.

I take a Valium, pillow, ipod video (full of tv and movies), an Economist, and a book. Usually the wine and the valium does most of that flight and the other stuff is for the layover.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM

For those of you going the food+wine+valium/Xanax route, I'd suggest also getting pressure stockings, foot to knee. They make them in men's models, too. Twelve hours or more not moving is *not* good for the circulation; a blood clot will ruin your vacation real fast.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 PM

Get yourself the type of pillow that circles your neck and props it up so you don't get a crick in your neck, take some airborne to fend off the colds, keep your toes propped up to help your circulation, move your legs to prevent a thrombosis from occuring, chewing gum for air pressure, you might want to take some melatonin if you need help falling asleep or some eye pads to block out cabin light.