Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: USA can thank China....

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with fiat money per se. The problem is with the monopoly of any sort of money. The term "fiat" is a distraction, since in AC-land you can bet there'd be entities guaranteeing money with . . . physical assets.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's guaranteed with physical assets it isn't fiat money.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Europeans haven't registered any change at all in their crude oil prices.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least in Scandinavia, we've had fuel prices topping $2 per liter (apx $8 per gallon) for years now. Fuel, because of the government's aggressive pro-what ever we can get away with policy, is heavily taxed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Europeans haven't registered any change at all in their crude oil prices.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least in Scandinavia, we've had fuel prices topping $2 per liter (apx $8 per gallon) for years now. Fuel, because of the government's aggressive pro-what ever we can get away with policy, is heavily taxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

You might find this article interesting:

Climate Is a Risky Issue for Democrats

Looks to me like the US politicians want to do the same thing more or less.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks to me like the US politicians want to do the same thing more or less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, why not. Maybe it will force a few Americans to not get that 6 liter engine pick-up truck for the purpose of buying groceries.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Does anyone believe this is related with upcoming war with Iran? China’s US$ reserves are maybe one of their best arguments against the USA. I’d say they would use that weapon as their last escape. Changing too much dollars wouldn’t be profitable for them either, but in case of war against Iran they might be forced to that. That would put the dollar under intense pressure and send U.S. interest rates skyrocketing, especially since the Russians hold another 330B$ in their reserves. After all those reserves in US$ aren't the best option for them anyway (compared with euro or other currencies) and probably many countries be forced to do the same.

Domino effect. Killing me softly scenario.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone believe this is related with upcoming war with Iran? China’s US$ reserves are maybe one of their best arguments against the USA. I’d say they would use that weapon as their last escape. Changing too much dollars wouldn’t be profitable for them either, but in case of war against Iran they might be forced to that. That would put the dollar under intense pressure and send U.S. interest rates skyrocketing, especially since the Russians hold another 330B$ in their reserves. After all those reserves in US$ aren't the best option for them anyway (compared with euro or other currencies) and probably many countries be forced to do the same.

Domino effect. Killing me softly scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a much more depressing view of the situation.

economic upheavel is a prequisite for regime change in a republic.

rb
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM

Is anyone suprised?

I mean, really. We've been running the money changer scam on the world for four decades. Is it suprising that everyone has wised up and is beginning to not want anything to do with our money if they can help it? This is in addition to intimidation, exploitative relationships, and downright refusal to trade with people we don't like. This is why I have pinned my financial strategy on a ever declining dollar. It will probably be a sound strategy for another decade or two.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thing my savings are heavily allocated to foreign stock funds ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. And don't forget those Energy Funds.

-Zeno
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM

This thread has basically convinced me that long the dollar is the way to go.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM

I just got off a conference call and I can tell you that some very influential money traders are getting ready to drop the US green back for Euro and are trying to figure out how not to disrupt global markets with a large sell. If I where an investor with any USD holdings...I would be making a move soon. It will get realy bad before it just stays bad for years to come. And the consensus is if US does invade Iran that the USD will be valued like the Albanian lek...lol