Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: How many kisses?

This has no place in the office. The only part of my body I expect to have kissed at work is my tuchus, and that only figuratively.

This is also why I prefer to wear a beard. If the thought enters someone's mind like, "Hey, I think I'll smooch that fellow for hosting such a great meeting," they need only see the woodland creatures marauding through my whiskers to reconsider.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised that so many despise the handshake.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I can see why some people might like the extra "warmth" or whatever of a kiss, but that doesn't make a handshake something cold or inadequate. Inadequate for what? Greeting strangers? Business contacts? Even friends? I can be adequately enthused without engaging any mucous membranes, and I can't say I wish there were more being kissed in my life by anyone I'm not willing to share a crotch with.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised that so many despise the handshake.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I can see why some people might like the extra "warmth" or whatever of a kiss, but that doesn't make a handshake something cold or inadequate. Inadequate for what? Greeting strangers? Business contacts? Even friends? I can be adequately enthused without engaging any mucous membranes, and I can't say I wish there were more being kissed in my life by anyone I'm not willing to share a crotch with.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't even like the handshake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither do I, but you have to do it. Generally I'd be happy avoiding much touching until on a pound it like a hammer basis

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-McGee
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Favoring a handshake over kisses doesn't mean I like handshakes. Basically, outside of family and true friends, the less touchy-feely the better, to me.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I guess I like handshakes, and I use them all the time. I'm not opposed to hugs, either, but it'd be weird in a business environment. I suppose in a lot of communities I've been involved in, hugs were the norm, even hugs between men. Hugs are par for the course in the lindy hop community, but yeah, that's not exactly a community with personal space issues. I was introduced to the kissing thing when I was up dancing in Montreal. It was a little weird at first, but given that much of my instruction on the custom came from a girl I'd like to "share a crotch with," I put up with it. I have the a tendency to kiss right-left rather than the usual left-right, since if I give a hug, I tend to end up on the right cheek side rather than the left cheek side. That's the side you dance on, too. If people started doing this in places I hung out outside of Montreal, I could dig it, but not with men, and only in a social setting, not a business setting.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Another potential problem: When I was teaching elementary French I took it as natural that when students learn the normal pleasantries, "hello, my name is___," that a handshake would be part of the practice.

Except that I had four muslim women from Indonesia in my class. They politely explained that they could not shake the hand of any man who is not related to them by blood or marriage.

I imagine that the bise would be an issue in this context, too.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM

Handshakes are fine.
Don't hug me unless you are a good friend.
Don't kiss me unless you want in my pants.

And what's with all the handshakes and hugs and good lucks at the poker table?