Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: I give up America

Having a reasonable expectation that a child not hear obscenities (which I believe are unprotected) while ordering food hardly approaches repression.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"But way to champion the cause for saying "suck my [censored]" in front of children. "

Way to champion the cause of opposition to freedom of expression.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kids should clearly have the right to say it. Their parents should also have the right to punish them for doing so.

edit: And Wal-Mart should have the right to kick them out for doing so.

For the poster complaining about being subjected to the talk: he has the right to complain to the store manager, or to tell those kids and their parents why what they are doing or allowing is wrong and out-of-place.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM

"Then I have the freedom to stop them. "

There is no freedom to silence other people you disagree with; that is the opposite of freedom.

I would rather be subjected to the problems that are caused by 'too much' freedom than the ones that are caused by too little.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the poster complaining about being subjected to the talk: he has the right to complain to the store manager, or to tell those kids and their parents why what they are doing or allowing is wrong and out-of-place.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

It was just one example of showing why it's reasonable for some of us to think along the lines of "kids these days". Goodcall chose to fall back on the freedom of speech redirect. Getting a manager to kick someone out is not only a bandaid on the problem, it is now likely to have recourse in the form of retaliation by the kids or legal action from parents. Hell, we had a thread where a parent wanted to sue the school district when the school confiscated their kid's cell phone for the third time and after 2 warnings.

Goodcall,
[ QUOTE ]
I would rather be subjected to the problems that are caused by 'too much' freedom than the ones that are caused by too little.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the tradeoff between security and freedom is debateable, your wish is fast approaching.

Do you believe that society ought to encourage/support things proven to be best for children? I don't mean necessarily through bureaucracy, but rather intuition and common sense? And do you see the difference between Eminem and Beethoven- not genre, but talent and artistic value?

Govman,
Sorry for the hijack/tangent. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM

"Do you believe that society ought to encourage/support things proven to be best for children? "

Society cannot act, only people can act. Do I think people should do this? In their private capacity, absolutely. Do I think the government should do this?

No. The role of government is protect our liberty and our security, not to make us good people.

"And do you see the difference between Eminem and Beethoven- not genre, but talent and artistic value?"

huh?