Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Default KK in early position in 1-2 NL at Borgata last night

1-2 NL at Borgata.I have KK early position.Open raise to $10.Mp calls,Lp raises to $25.I just sat down at the table and all players are strangers-I have no info about them yet.I reraise to $100 and he shoves in his stack of around $500.I have him covered since i won a large pot two hands ago.
2 players $158 in pot.So what are the hands I have to consider?
AA-most likely
KK-possible but very unlikely
QQ-probably not
AKs-I don't think an average player would reraise a $100
bet all in
I can't think of any other hands he could have.
I called,he turned over AA and I sucked out with a K on the turn.
Without info or any type of read on opponent (thus the assumption he is an "average player" )would anyone have considered a fold against the all in raise?
I'm only getting around 1.3-1 pot odds.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: KK in early position in 1-2 NL at Borgata last night

no
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM

5-betting AI live is almost always AA. But still without a good read you probably shouldn't be folding. However we must keep in mind that this is for 250 BB's. So You probably could find a fold. I don't think I could though.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM

You can find a fold here, I wouldn't fault a play either way. 1/2 NL players at Borgata are bad, but then again, this guy has 5 bet preflop to 250xBB, there's really not much he can have. Honestly, he has AA or the other KK a lot more often than he has QQ or AKs. I don't fault a fold in this spot.

As for the hand itself, this isn't relevant to this particular outcome, but, I advocate limp raising big pairs in EP in 1/2 NL live. Open raising to $10 is like walking into a Baghdad minefield, you risk going to a flop 5 or 6 way with zero read on anyone's hand strength.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:52 PM

what would you have put him on to call $500 without reservation?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 PM

Good point-but I was afraid the rest of the field would limp behind me,and I would be in a mine field of nukes.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:02 PM

When you limp and the field limps behind you, it makes folding red Kings on a 9c-8c-6c board much easier. Discipline yourself to fold when you have overpairs in failed limp raise spots. If you do open raise, unfortunately you have to make it more than $10.

Praetor is likely one of the players in the never-fold-KK preflop crowd. I don't agree with this line of thinking, but, many advocate it. To me, you really cannot put this player on a hand that makes instacalling correct. This is AA or the other KK like 70% of the time in my estimation. Possibly more. You really don't see people 5 bet all in for $500 in 1/2 NL with AK as much as you'd think. QQ is possible but much less likely than the big two.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 AM

What about A-K? A-K has a lot of power pre-flop, but I haven't played live enough to know if people really fold a lot to say a pot size plus limp reraise in low limits. Works fairly well at $100 buyin No Limit Online so far.

[ QUOTE ]
You can find a fold here, I wouldn't fault a play either way. 1/2 NL players at Borgata are bad, but then again, this guy has 5 bet preflop to 250xBB, there's really not much he can have. Honestly, he has AA or the other KK a lot more often than he has QQ or AKs. I don't fault a fold in this spot.

As for the hand itself, this isn't relevant to this particular outcome, but, I advocate limp raising big pairs in EP in 1/2 NL live. Open raising to $10 is like walking into a Baghdad minefield, you risk going to a flop 5 or 6 way with zero read on anyone's hand strength.

[/ QUOTE ]