Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you really hoping for
Rooney gets fit ASAP 18 47.37%
Rooney remains crocked 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring (GAME THREAD)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the only way a wolf fakes as Sam is if Frodo is already dead. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just not true - explain to me how the village resolves things if a wolf and real Sam both come out as Sam day 2 and both of them have villager peeks. How do we figure out the real Sam other than having Frodo reveal? Trading 1 wolf for Sam and Frodo is a great trade for the wolves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it would, but that isn't the trade. The trade would be a wolf for a 50% chance at killing Sam only. Frodo can still come out with his picks later.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The code is a horrible idea btw. gives the wolves something to look for.

Whoever suggested it gets a +10% on my wolf list.

[/ QUOTE ]
The code is fine; you could implement it in such a way that it'll be nearly impossible to pick up. Hell if you used one-time pads as the cypher they should never be able to figure it out, in theory. I've seen it done (and done it myself!) in other games and nobody ever picks up on it. Sure if you 0th level the code and make it obvious enough they /might/ get it.

Or you could go all-out and encrypt the posts with GPG or something and share keys. Although I figure that would be a violation of 'POG rules' in violating the spirit of the game.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The code is a horrible idea btw. gives the wolves something to look for.

Whoever suggested it gets a +10% on my wolf list.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree. I think it can be made to work, especially if you obscure it by using two other codes in the same post, whose encoded values are randomly selected.

[/ QUOTE ] Or heck, new code every night.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM

ya, or, you know, just use a specific word for villager/wolf/power or something...

it doesn't have to be complex. sheesh
Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could go all-out and encrypt the posts with GPG or something and share keys. Although I figure that would be a violation of 'POG rules' in violating the spirit of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

*** MODERATOR NOTE ***

That's basically day-masonry, so yes, it violates the rules. I'd consider basic encodings of player names, roles, etc. into normal post keywords or letters (like we did in WOT) to be acceptable.

*** MODERATOR NOTE ***
Old 02-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Using ASCII-encoded OpenPGP, an XOR-ed one-time pad, or anything like that won't work, because then when Frodo posts the gibberish, we all will know who he is.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Okay, werewolf is weird.

I like to PLAY the game. It's a strange concept and all, I know. I'm at work, it's nice to have something that keeps me from going crazy punching numbers into a spreadsheet. I like to analyze, and therefore I am active.

And yet EVERY time, and I mean EVERY time, I get put on wolf lists on day one. I'm a little more random than, say, Herbie who also posts often, and actually have more than one sentence responses like DMK does, but I'm always around on day 1 and therefore I always get suspected day 1.

I really feel that I should just make like 2 posts on day 1 and then go from there. Although that would be a departure for me, so then it looks wolfy. No one ever lynches UTR players so that would really be the way to go right? But what fun is that?

I could be wrong about everything that I've pointed out thus far. Or I could not. But at least I'm trying. I'm not switching from TFG today, and I don't care if I'm the only one on him at the end of the day.

Oh wait, this is a long post, so that must make me wolfy too.

I have so much to learn. But in the meantime, I'm playing these games and lynching wolves. Or villagers. But hopefully wolves.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the only way a wolf fakes as Sam is if Frodo is already dead. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just not true - explain to me how the village resolves things if a wolf and real Sam both come out as Sam day 2 and both of them have villager peeks. How do we figure out the real Sam other than having Frodo reveal? Trading 1 wolf for Sam and Frodo is a great trade for the wolves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it would, but that isn't the trade. The trade would be a wolf for a 50% chance at killing Sam only. Frodo can still come out with his picks later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well we can agree to disagree then - I really believe that Sam should only come out tomorrow if he has a wolf but I don't feel super duper strongly about it either way
Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 PM

i don't think it matters. use your discretion. if you think its best to come out, come out. if you don't want to, don't.

i don't like having seer views restricted, leave it up to the player playing the role, he may know better.

xorbie is an example of someone that should not be constricted by something like that
Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, werewolf is weird.

I like to PLAY the game. It's a strange concept and all, I know. I'm at work, it's nice to have something that keeps me from going crazy punching numbers into a spreadsheet. I like to analyze, and therefore I am active.

And yet EVERY time, and I mean EVERY time, I get put on wolf lists on day one. I'm a little more random than, say, Herbie who also posts often, and actually have more than one sentence responses like DMK does, but I'm always around on day 1 and therefore I always get suspected day 1.

I really feel that I should just make like 2 posts on day 1 and then go from there. Although that would be a departure for me, so then it looks wolfy. No one ever lynches UTR players so that would really be the way to go right? But what fun is that?

I could be wrong about everything that I've pointed out thus far. Or I could not. But at least I'm trying. I'm not switching from TFG today, and I don't care if I'm the only one on him at the end of the day.

Oh wait, this is a long post, so that must make me wolfy too.

I have so much to learn. But in the meantime, I'm playing these games and lynching wolves. Or villagers. But hopefully wolves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow - ok a couple of things.
1. People suspect people all the time - nothing to worry about there. Going UTR just to not be suspicious sucks.
2. You lived a long time in ST2 and are still alive in ASX - it's not like you are Happy and get lynched right away almost every game you play
3. You are right though - this post does make me more comfortable with my read of you as a wolf - mostly because you are basically freaking out about people suspecting you.