Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Default 25NL: AA in SB vs. frisky UTG villain

villain has been frisky the few orbits i've seen him. raising big after a few limpers and solid cbets. roughly 35/18/2 35-40 hands or so.

my intitial thought/read was he had the goods given previous play. the other side of the brain says, "you gots aces!"

what do you say?

EN

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $29.50
CO: $24.75
BTN: $16.45
SB: $26.55
Hero (BB): $25.85
UTG: $28.25
UTG+1: $9.75

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1</font>, 3 folds, BTN calls $1, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $2, BTN calls $2

Flop: ($9.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $25.25 and is All-In</font>, BTN folds, Hero???
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: 25NL: AA in SB vs. frisky UTG villain

I hate stacking off with one pair, but given your 3bet and cbet you invested half your stack and should follow through with it.

Given the villians range I could see him showing up with any 2 pair combos but also a single pair and a draw. I still think it's a call.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate stacking off with one pair, but given your 3bet and cbet you invested half your stack and should follow through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my gut feeling as well. i've pitched him inside heat two times and he hunkers out over the plate and might as well have pointed to the left field bleachers.

the action tells me i'm beat. my mind tells me it could be JJ+. i doubt he'd play TT this way, JT is out, AQ is out. i believe he knows i have an AA/KK but i don't tag him as a 3rd to 4th level thinker.

instinct says he has a set of J's due to the betting pattern. maybe Q's and a good possibility it might be K's. in a sitch like this, is it correct to call off with AA?

EN
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Honestly, it's not a decision that makes that much difference long term. You're getting 2-1 on the call. You will probably have the best hand somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 the time, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I, honestly, would guess a little more. Add in a few suck outs by spiking the A or hitting runner runner and it's not a particularly winning or losing play.

Potting it on the flop, though is the correct thing to do. That play over time will make you plenty of money.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 PM

reraise more preflop as you'll be oop, then you have a larger pot to pot on the flop which means you have an easy call here.

As played i think i still call, but i'm not liking it. There are enough hands in his range (AQdd AKdd QQ/KK) that you beat, though i doubt you;re much better than 50/50 if that
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 PM

I would expect to be a little worse than 50/50. But that's ok. We're getting a good price. We only need to show up with 30% equity in the hand to warrant our call. I think we're solidly in the 30-50% range.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would expect to be a little worse than 50/50. But that's ok. We're getting a good price. We only need to show up with 30% equity in the hand to warrant our call. I think we're solidly in the 30-50% range.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't happen to have a favorite All In Equity post link to share do you? i'll do the search and ground work but some links are far better than ones i've stumbled across.

thanks for the input.

EN
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM

I don't have a favorite link. I've just snuggled up with poker stove and played enough hands to get a general sense for it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:52 PM

Um, eh, push, but I really, really think you ran into trips.
But also AKdd or AQ or something like that.
But given his re-raise, more often than not you do says "I have Aces" and he does says "I have you beats!"
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM

You need to reraise more pf.

Call his shove.

His range if full of hands you beat; AQdd, AKdd, ATdd, AJ, QQ, KK, QK. And only a few hands that beat you; 88, TT, JJ, JT.

This isn't even as close as some of you are making it, its vs a frisky 35/18 opponent. He is a bad player, he plays bad, he could be doing just that, playing bad, I expect him to sometimes even show up with a wider range then what i suggessted. (QJs, KJs, 89s, etc) I Understand if we throw those hands in his range we have to include random 2pair hands that beat us now also, J8?. However, I'm fine with this.

Folding overpairs vs. bad agressive opponents on coordinated boards is generally something I don't do.