Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 AM

Default River decision against a seeminly passive player

A couple of Tags and a Lag were on the other side of the table but they all folded. I don't have any hands on the players in the hand but they all seemed very passive especially the main villain.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, MP3 folds.

River: (4.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??

Okay, the Q on the turn didn't bother the villain. Villain is relatively unknown but my gut tells me, that as passive as he has seemed so far, he might be one of those players who will play Ax with a weak kicker and just call down with it.

What line do you guys take in this situation? My first inclination is to bet and hope he hit a Q with a smaller kicker, but my gut is telling me he has a small Ax.

Doc
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: River decision against a seeminly passive player

I think u must bet no matter what ur gut tells u. It's human to feel beat OOP on the river with marginal hand. U just want to check. But that is something we must resist. Here u are a much bigger favorite if u bet and are called than if u check/call.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM

bet and its not particularly close.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM

When I see a person play passively like this, to me that usually means they either have a draw, or a marginal hand they want to get to showdown as cheaply as possible, in this case probably a small PP, 44 or 55. Small Ax is also a possibility, though I have trouble putting him on that just because he checked last to act on the flop. I think that you are ahead more then enough to make a bet here worth it. Occasionally, he is going to turn over Ax, and it's going to suck, but I think that in this situation you are ahead more often then you are behind
Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM

*grunch*
he can also be at srt8 draw or FD u must bet to dont give free card
i fold after he raise
Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 PM

I bet and then make a potentially bad call if he raises. But I take a note no matter what if he calls.

I also raise PF FWIW.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM

I see everyone saying bet the river here and I suppose thats because we are ahead more often that we are behind, given villains play. My problem is I can't find a reason to bet since I don't think he folds anything that beats us and there are really very few hands vallain can call with and lose. On the other hand there are some hands he could have hit on the river and some he could have slowplayed. I want to show down but I don't want to call a raise so I check/call this.

Also you didn't ask but, if I played this hand, I would have raised it preflop and bet the flop.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see everyone saying bet the river here and I suppose thats because we are ahead more often that we are behind, given villains play. My problem is I can't find a reason to bet since I don't think he folds anything that beats us and there are really very few hands vallain can call with and lose. On the other hand there are some hands he could have hit on the river and some he could have slowplayed. I want to show down but I don't want to call a raise so I check/call this.

Also you didn't ask but, if I played this hand, I would have raised it preflop and bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

worse Q's call all day.

i wouldnt call a raise.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Raise this one pf.
Bet the river - if we check, what worse hand is he going to bet that he called on the turn and would fold if we bet.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is I can't find a reason to bet since I don't think he folds anything that beats us and there are really very few hands vallain can call with and lose. On the other hand there are some hands he could have hit on the river and some he could have slowplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree he won't fold a worse hand, but I would like to get paid by worse queens, pocket pairs, or random K2s/43s garbage. He may have slowplayed, but I don't think too many hands got there on that river.