Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Headphones!!!

I have a weird question. I think I was just shocked lightly by the E4c in ears by Shure as my computer was restarting(they were plugged into it).
1. Why did this happen?
2. Has this damaged me or the ear phones?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Dear PITTM,

I wonder if you can help me for headphones for a very specfic need. I am looking for headphones for flying on a plane to watch the in-flight movies. I am open to in ear or over ear. I would say my budget is under $100, but can be convinced to spend more (up to say $250) if it is really worth it. I somehow doubt it can be worth it however, since I might fly for about 3 to 6 trips a year and will not use the headphones for any other reason. I don't own an IPOD and am not into music beyond listening to the radio in the car.

The reason I want the headphones is I noticed during my last few trips that the airline's phones, especially the over ear ones, are terrible and I could barely hear the movie over the sound of the airplane.

I was just at Future Shop and was tempted just to pick up $40 JVC in ear phones, but stopped because I was not sure that they would plug into the airplane's 2 prong systems. Please let me know whether your recommended phones will come airplane ready, with any necessary adapters, or recommend places to get the adapters.

Finally, I would even appreciate good places online to order these things. I live in Toronto, Canada (Thornhill to be exact) so places to buy around here would be ok too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Hey guys,

I bought headphones today and someone asked me to post in here.

I bought the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro in a local hifi shop.

I'm an audiophile extraordinaire, but never really looked into headphones. Guy who lives next to me showed me his new Sennheiser HD515, and I thought that they were quite enjoyable but had some problems. I read on the internet that the HD555 was better in a couple of ways and only a little more expensive. The store didn't have many Sennheisers but he did have various Beyers. I listened to a 531, which had a balancing problem, then I listened to a 331 which sounded pretty well rounded. Then he gave me the 990 which blew me away and I insta-bought it. The 990 lived up to the standards of my regular system so it made complete sense to forget about cheaper stuff.

This is my regular setup in my old room:
http://my.hifi.nl/index.php?user=1088

Amp
http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_mark_2.htm
Similar design and sound as the 47 Labs Gaincard, if that means anything to you guys. Essentially worldclass amplifier which has the same quality of sound as sick 300B tube amps but is has a slightly different colouring (I've compared them).

DAC
Non-oversampling DIY dac. Again, the main design comes from 47 Labs but has been 'borrowed' by the DIY community and improved over the years.

Speakers
Supravox 215 Signature Bicone in an openbaffle casing. These drivers are medium high efficiency, full range, great directionality for use in rooms, and have a large linear excursion; all of which makes them excellent for use in open baffle and to equalize them, which I do with a digital equalizer (Behringer 8024). It equalizes in the digital domain. So it's: computer spdif (Emu 0404) -> Behringer -> DAC -> Amp.

Tuning the equalizer is very tough and took me a long time to get a good understanding of it.

The Amp is in for repair atm and my current room is too small for the setup so this is why a good headphone seemed a good idea. (I'm looking to move to a house with other pokerplayers soon so I can set the whole thing up again)

Right now the setup is: spdif -> dac -> computer speakers headphone output -> headphone; which is obviously not great, but the sound is damn impressive still. I've found that a good dac is more critical than a good amp in the case of headphones. But anyway, I'm looking for a better option for it. My JLTi amp has a pre-amp output on which I could hookup a headphone amplifier. I saw some in this thread and I'll have to investige on that.

If you think my system is ugly and thus can't sound good, then imagine it looks like this: http://sakurasystems.com/show/ckeating.html . That system probably sounds very much like mine btw.

If any of you have ever heard of Bert Doppenberg or the Oris horns ( http://bd-design.nl/ ). He's from Holland and we've known each other for quite some years.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

It's too bad you couldn't hear the 880s. those are my second favorite headphones like ever.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's too bad you couldn't hear the 880s. those are my second favorite headphones like ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difference?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 AM

I just bought the Sennheiser HD555 headphones, hoping to use them while traveling and while playing online poker.

If that was a good buy, let me know. If not...eh, too late now.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

good buy imo. 595s are an upgrade of that, but the 555s are fine.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought the Sennheiser HD650 headphones, hoping to use them while traveling and while playing online poker.

If that was a good buy, let me know. If not...eh, too late now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 PM

OK simple question here: I have just a regular mp3 player ( not an Ipod) would i be getting full value out of listening to a $80+ headphone than say a $30-$75 headphone?
Like, Does the heaphone quality get good because of the headphone or the player? does the mp3 playuer have limits to how good the sound will play?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:42 PM

chisness,

that is a top of the line headphone. If you dont have an amplifier you should consider it as the 650s def benefit from it.

slime,
Both the headphone and the player have limitations, you can def notice the difference between 40 dollar headphones and 80 dollar headphones on anything with a headphone jack though.