Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Headphones!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at this point that's a little more than I'm willing to spend on an amp but maybe sometime in the future when I'm looking for a new toy. Thanks for the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price range? My old amp, the Portaphile X3 is only 109.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at this point that's a little more than I'm willing to spend on an amp but maybe sometime in the future when I'm looking for a new toy. Thanks for the recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Price range? My old amp, the Portaphile X3 is only 109.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's much more reasonable, thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I owned a pair of Er-6s about 2 years ago. I had a problem with their lack of bass and somewhat tinniness and sold them to another head-fi member. I certainly saw the many benefits though and i know tons of people love those things.

As far as an amp goes. I have the absolute PERFECT amp in mind but its probably a bit too expensive. The Ray Samuels Tomahawk($295):

It is designed for IEM's(in ear monitors) like the ER6's. FWIW, the amp i have is the ray samuels hornet, which is almost identical cosmetically but was designed with full sized headphones in mind. For me, Ray Samuels blows other amp makers out of the water. The only other makers even in the same league are Tyll Hertsins of Headroom and Phil Larocco at larocco audio. Ray just finished making what looks like a piece of art and what is now probably the best consumer headphone amp in existence, the B-52($5,350):

I have tremendous respect for Ray's work and think it is the best in the business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard the chance to check out a Singlepower amplifier? IMHO Mikhail at Singlepower is the absolute best in the business.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I owned a pair of Er-6s about 2 years ago. I had a problem with their lack of bass and somewhat tinniness and sold them to another head-fi member. I certainly saw the many benefits though and i know tons of people love those things.

As far as an amp goes. I have the absolute PERFECT amp in mind but its probably a bit too expensive. The Ray Samuels Tomahawk($295):

It is designed for IEM's(in ear monitors) like the ER6's. FWIW, the amp i have is the ray samuels hornet, which is almost identical cosmetically but was designed with full sized headphones in mind. For me, Ray Samuels blows other amp makers out of the water. The only other makers even in the same league are Tyll Hertsins of Headroom and Phil Larocco at larocco audio. Ray just finished making what looks like a piece of art and what is now probably the best consumer headphone amp in existence, the B-52($5,350):

I have tremendous respect for Ray's work and think it is the best in the business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard the chance to check out a Singlepower amplifier? IMHO Mikhail at Singlepower is the absolute best in the business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've met Mikhail and i feel silly for having left him off the list. he makes incredible amps. I listened to a Singlepower Supra and my friend thought it was the best at the meet, i loved it, mostly because tube electronics sound amazing.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(btw, for anybody that rides a motorcycle and listens to music, these earbuds are incredible. They fit very nicely under a full face helmet, block almost all wind noise and allow you to listen to your music at a reasonable level so you don't [censored] up your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, both motorcycles and earbuds are bad for your hearing.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(btw, for anybody that rides a motorcycle and listens to music, these earbuds are incredible. They fit very nicely under a full face helmet, block almost all wind noise and allow you to listen to your music at a reasonable level so you don't [censored] up your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, both motorcycles and earbuds are bad for your hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm already very conscious of the effects of motorcycling on hearing. I always wear some form of ear protection when motorcycling and I think you're crazy not too. Obviously if you listen to your earbuds at retarded levels they're going to damage your hearing too. If you use them at a reasonable level, then you're not going to damage your hearing.

The main reason I bought the ER6i's is because they provide something like 30dB of isolation and I can therefore listen to music at a very low level underneath my helmet. ie. they serve as hearing protection as well as sounding great.

Thanks for you concern though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM

PITTM,

I'm in the market for some new earbuds. It seems like the Shure ones are the clear concensus pick.

So, here's the question. Speaking to a relative non-audiophile, how would you characterize the difference in experience between the e2c ($70), e3c ($150), e4c ($200) [amazon prices]?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM

el d,

I must preface this by saying out of the 3 headphones you mentioned, i have only heard the e3c. However, from the many reviews i have read, the e4c is the best of the lot and separates itself quite a bit from the e2c and e3c, since as far as i remember it has two drivers, while the other pairs only have one..

However, while you state that shures are the consensus favorite, i do disagree somewhat. If i were going to buy a pair of IEM's, i would either get the shure e500(new headphone, ridiculously awesome and expensive) or i would go with Ultimate Ears as opposed to Shures. My friend has a pair of Ultimate Ear's Super.Fi 5 pro's or whatever theyre called and i think they blow the shures out of the water. The sound is super crisp, the isolation is great and they fit better in my ears than the shures have.

For anyone wanting to listen to headphones and lives near the bay area, the head-fi international headphone meet would be something to check out. It is in San Jose, CA this year at a hotel near Bay101, i forget if its a doubletree or what.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would get the shure e500(new headphone, ridiculously awesome and expensive)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just ordered these a couple of days ago on eBay. I'm very excited!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ridiculously awesome and expensive) or i would go with Ultimate Ears as opposed to Shures.

[/ QUOTE ]

on RJ's advice for X-mas I got a pair of the UE's (the Super.Fi5 EB's) and I love them. If I had to do over again I'd def get the pro's though as there are times where its "to much" bass when its in the ear however there are 100% awesome other wise. The great thing is the noise cancel you really can't hear a damn thing when you got them in and got music going even at a lower level.