Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Weird PC Problem 1 of 2

Starting a few weeks ago, and this time I don't think any hardware changes directly preceded the problem, when I turn on my computer it appears that Vista thinks I don't have a network adapter (wireless LAN card) installed.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for everything on this system.

Reinstalling the drivers does *not* fix the problem. I noticed that I had to reboot, even with a reinstall of the drivers (which don't require a reboot), for the problem to get fixed.

It was then that I discovered the 'weirdness'.

I found the following method gives me a perfectly working internet connection:
Boot up computer
As soon as windows task bar has loaded up (~5 seconds into log-in), hit "Windows Key - U - R - Enter", in sequence, which if you don't realize is the "reboot computer" sequence

No reinstalls, no nothin'. I haven't played around to see how long the computer has been powered down for this to be necessary, but going into Hibernate mode (instead of shut-down) does NOT prevent the need for a reboot.

I dealt with selecting which instance of Windows I wanted to load on my old PC for about 2 years (there was also a 'ghost' version resulting from a mistake i made during a re-format, so i had to hit "enter" about 15 seconds after booting up my computer, or wait an additional 20 for it to default to option number 1), and then found the fix took me about 30 seconds when I got around to looking it up. I'm not going to fall into that trap again!

I've googled things about my specific network adapter /drivers to no avail.

Thanks, guys!