Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: SharkScope software

After throwing the pokerstars client through a quick Spy session:

The task your program performs is practically a no-brainer to reproduce on Full Tilt, but it is definitely *not* going to be easy to reproduce on PokerStars, so it seems you can actually give some measure of exclusivity there.

Which means I owe you a bit of an apology. I assumed that it was as easy to get at things on Stars as it is on Full Tilt. But it seems PokerStars has completely avoided using standard windows controls for anything at all.

And that assumption has certainly made a little bit of an ass out of me, although probably not you. Sorry about that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, if you've done anything other than grabbing bitmaps and performing a bit of text recognition on them, I'd be interested in hearing what it took purely from a curiosity standpoint.

If, for example, they have an underlying data structure that you figured out, I'd be suitably impressed, and would be interested in hearing what tools you used to figure it out.

If you're parsing data out of the network stream, that would be interesting as well. I've basically cracked Full Tilt's network stream, but I was hooking into their SSL dll, and decided to move away from actually doing anything with it because I don't know if they are actively watching for that sort of thing.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Nicho, can you be a little more clear on what kind of advantage you expect purchasers of this software to have and the kind of additional profit they will make?

If you're going to sell this to a small number of people for more money than most programs go for I think you should let people know how much of an advantage they will get from this.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM

woulndt this not really work anymore since within 30 days stars wont let ppl be sharkscoped if tehy havent paid the service fee??
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM

All,

I moved this here pending allegations that the software Nich is considering selling isn't really his own. In that case, I'd regard this as a piracy link, not the one allotted post from a software developer.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM

That would be disappointing.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Now I've had another poster contact me about this. Apparently Nicho had talked to him in private before posting in this thread. According to him, Nicho wasn't looking to mass-market a $25ish or so piece of software like PAHUD for HUSnGs. Instead, he was looking to sell this thing to just one person, the highest bidder, and he thought he could get something in the neighborhood of $3k. WTF? Nicho has been so good to the HU forum that I was willing to let this one slide a bit, figuring it as I posted above: a spammy software post, but since we allow software guys to make a single post in Software, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and allow it in HU. If this is true, this seems not only absurd, but also like it is more like one guy trying to sell his Dell monitor then one guy trying to market software that will benefit many readers of this board.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 PM

I agree. Seems like it's one guys word vs. another though. I'd just warn him not to bring the subject up again.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM

I've PM Nicho and haven't heard back. He might give me something consistent w/ the other posters. He might not. We'll see. I don't think it's likely, though, that we'll end up moving this thread back, and I'll warn him not to bring this up again.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I've had another poster contact me about this. Apparently Nicho had talked to him in private before posting in this thread. According to him, Nicho wasn't looking to mass-market a $25ish or so piece of software like PAHUD for HUSnGs. Instead, he was looking to sell this thing to just one person, the highest bidder, and he thought he could get something in the neighborhood of $3k. WTF? Nicho has been so good to the HU forum that I was willing to let this one slide a bit, figuring it as I posted above: a spammy software post, but since we allow software guys to make a single post in Software, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and allow it in HU. If this is true, this seems not only absurd, but also like it is more like one guy trying to sell his Dell monitor then one guy trying to market software that will benefit many readers of this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care to investigate further about the pirated software allegation, but this information above is definitely true, as confirmed by Nicho. This thread dies here.