Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Default a frush against morons

FT 3/6

CO is a complete idiot (90/10/0.75 over 1k hands) although I haven't seen him do very much dumb aggresive stuff postflop. BB is a 55/20 moron.

(6 handed)
CO open limps, I jack it up with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], sb folds, bb calls

flop (6.5 sb) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
CO donks, I raise, bb calls, CO calls

turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, check, check

river 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, CO raises, I....

Paused for a little while on the river here. Is calling or 3 balling best?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: a frush against morons

Calling and going for the overcall from BB probably nets you the same as 3-betting, since BB will most likely then fold if you 3-bet. This also has the benefit of not getting capped by CO if you are behind.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM

id call river pretty much no matter the players descriptions, what differing player profiles would make people do what?

also what do u guys think of the flop? always raise here? always raise if bb donks and CO calls? how about BB donks and CO folds? How do player descriptions figure into this decision?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 PM

I'd only 3bet if I think BB is a big enough moron to call 2 on the river, otherwise going for an overcall isn't too bad of an option here.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 AM

Heads up, I'd probably raise. But with two in, an overcall is fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 AM

You turned your cards up on the turn (checking through after no third flush card will put everyone onto the idea you're on the draw), then you raise the third flush card. It should be obvious to anyone what you have, a raise shouldn't get you any more chips unless they really are awful (I know a few players who would call two on this river with nothing, but they're few and far between).
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM

I go for the overcall. We only have the 13th-nuts here and the CO is very passive.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

also what do u guys think of the flop? always raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing. Why raise? We probably have little to no FE and there's very little value in raising this hand vs a villain that is showdown bound. You're only isolating yourself. I'd overcall to let BB in with any 2.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Some reasons for raising this flop:

1. Folding BB's Qx, Kx, Ax (which he probably peels for one bet and folds for two) has got to be worth something on this flop. It's nice to have all of our pair outs when a Q K or A falls on the turn.

2. CO's donk here can easily be a straight draw or smaller flush draw, so if we fold BB we could have the best hand a nonzero portion of the time.

3. If we know CO is going to showdown regardless, we get to see the river for 1SB cheaper.

Still not sure if I like calling or raising the flop better, just throwing out some ideas.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also what do u guys think of the flop? always raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering the same thing. Why raise? We probably have little to no FE and there's very little value in raising this hand vs a villain that is showdown bound. You're only isolating yourself. I'd overcall to let BB in with any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the flop because:

-The pot is decent sized (7.5 sb after CO's bet)
-You have great equity with the fd and two overcards (~50% against Qh6h for example and greater against non-made hands of course)
-If both call a flop raise, that's not really such a bad result (beacause of your equity)
-You may choose to take a free card on the turn (Often bet A/K turns though, but maybe not against these fellows)

As for the river, I'd usually go for an overcall on this board, but against these clowns I might just go to 3-town.