Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Home Game STT Questions (General STT Strategies)

I'm mostly a ring game player with an occasional large MTT. All B&M/Home Games. I'm going to be playing more STT's and I'd like some opinions on general strategies for maximizing my payouts.

The typical STT will be 10 or 11 handed, 20 minute rounds going down to 15 after 6 rounds. Starting stacks between 4000 and 5000. No re-buys or add ons. Blind structure is good starting at 25/50 and not missing any rounds. No antes.

Players are usually regulars and some can adjust styles and some cannot. No real Lags but a lot of Tags. Sometimes 1 or 2 loose/passives. Most of the payers are willing to call down with sub premium hands when it gets late in the tourney and blinds are high. They understand they can't wait for the good hands. I can play any style but am most comfortable as a Tag.

So here's my first question:

In a STT with no side pot (or a small one) is it better to check down a 3 way pot when someone is all in just to knock the player out? If it is better to do this does the number of players left matter? IOW, should I do this with 7, 8, 9 players or just when it gets below a certain number? Does pot size matter if the number of players is still high?

How conscious should I be of the M factor and should I let it determine my decisions even if I think I am a better player than those remaining if the blinds are still relatively small based on the total number of chips in play and I'm not under 10BB? How about 5BB?

Are there optimal times when over bets are better than 2/3's pot size bets post flop. I know that may be more of a situational thing but for those of you who play many, many STT's you may have some experience that is more generalized.

Any other strategies for this type of STT you can give would be good.

I appreciate all your input.

RS
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Home Game STT Questions (General STT Strategies)

I'm just going to tackle the one question for now. Your post is asking some pretty general stuff so it's hard to answer.

However, about the side pot. You really just have to take the situation into consideration. Ie, payout structure, your stack, other stacks, and your hand.

What I'm trying to say with no payout considerations to worry about (7,8,9 handed for example), you should play the hand that is in the best interest for your equity. If that means betting a vunerable hand to protect your equity in the pot then do it. A lot of people misapply the check it down rule with empty side pots.

However, on the bubble it could be a big mistake. On the bubble it may be correct to cooperate with others to eliminate a player and get into the money. Especially if you are a medium stack. If you are the big stack and don't care if the bubble continues so that you can utilize it to gain chips, then again, just do what is best for your equity.