Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM

Default (Sheets advice) Folding to button re-raiser with AK in SB (Lv1)

In the 'Fox Sports' interview Sheets gives the following advice:
"If you have Ace-King in the small blind and you have a mid-position guy raise and then the button makes a re-raise of 3x that players bet - where in a MTT you have enough chips where you might be able to make a move on top of them - in a SNG you just have to fold. And that is just to a single re-raise. Especially in level one. Level one is not the time to be committing all your chips to be honest."

The section is under 'basic strategy' and he's not specifically talking about high-stakes SNG's. Personally, I never fold in this spot and in the SNGIcons videos it is often said that you simply can't fold AK in these spots and that you have to be prepared to get it all in. What's the best play here assuming no reads on the players?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (Sheets advice) Folding to button re-raiser with AK in SB (Lv1)

I think that is correct. However, can't say I will always do it. LOL
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM

I think this is an interesting point by sheets. There is an obviously huge difference between committing all your chips in the early levels of a stt or a mtt. Also, subtly, because its an STT peoples raising ranges are tighter, their reraising ranges, are even tighter, and rereraising ranges are tighter than that...In this spot you're risk/reward for "restealing" isn't that good. Maybe going all in is a close play and not a bad one, but obviously its a lot different from an mtt.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM

I would ignore this advice in a 6.5 or 16 and get it all in and get called by the reraiser who has AJs. I've done plenty of folding AK, and feel like I'm losing way too much value at low levels (at low buyins). Assuming competent villain, easy fold.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM

I think what most people do not understand is that having a 3k stack with 8 people left in a STT doesn't double your equity. Therefore it's best to stay away from these confrontation especially in the first couple of levels.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would ignore this advice in a 6.5 or 16 and get it all in and get called by the reraiser who has AJs. I've done plenty of folding AK, and feel like I'm losing way too much value at low levels (at low buyins). Assuming competent villain, easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think at higher buy-ins 50/50 flips WITH fold equity won't come often. so i'd consider taking it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM

I almost always fold this. First to get technical, if a player is making a raise of exactly 3x the previous raise, he might very well be a 2p2'er. I don't know that the Icons advocate getting it all-in here with AK. If there was a raise to 80 and then two flat callers I'd push easily, and I know the Icons say that, but I don't like it with a re-raise in there.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost always fold this. First to get technical, if a player is making a raise of exactly 3x the previous raise, he might very well be a 2p2'er. I don't know that the Icons advocate getting it all-in here with AK. If there was a raise to 80 and then two flat callers I'd push easily, and I know the Icons say that, but I don't like it with a re-raise in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No in the early levels I've never heard the Icons say that. I think the video I remember they were getting it all in because they had to eg. it was a call as opposed to push. In the scenario you described I'd hazzard a guess they'd could just call as ideally they dont want to be flipping.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No in the early levels I've never heard the Icons say that. I think the video I remember they were getting it all in because they had to eg. it was a call as opposed to push. In the scenario you described I'd hazzard a guess they'd could just call as ideally they dont want to be flipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to get it all in flipping against a much stronger re-raiser and not to a weaker raiser + weak callers? In one of the z32 videos he definitely limp-pushed AK when there was a raise behind him and a caller. 200 chips or so in the middle.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM

OK, fair enough; I think calling or pushing in your scenario can be justified though, right?

The video I remember though was an ugly spot where someone else over-pushed and the consensus was you just cant lay down AK even though its early and most likely a flip.