Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: 10/20 hu hand

I only like it if you think he can maybe fold a T, otherwise it seems pretty bad for obvious reasons.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM

as retarded as it seems, i see way too many people c/c this flop with 78/79/JT type hands, as well as 76 obv.

Once he pots the river, he folds a T just about never.

This is one of those spots i used to push a lot also, but more often than not people's stupidity pwns me when they show 78 type stuffs.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM

So your argument is essentially game theory and getting him off a chop?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 PM

MY thinking was that his line looks like a T at worst but i can't see him having much better than a T very often so it's almost always a T. given that, i'm not paying him off with worse really ever... so it seems like a good spot to go for a river c/r with anything that can beat a T. that seems very obvious to me. so given that any decent player should usually c/r a boat here, i felt we were almost always chopping, and that shoving would get him off a T a LOT of the time (why the hell wouldn't it, if i posted this from the T perspectigve, you'd all say fold) plus it makes his life hell to play against me (which is always nice for him to play scurred poker and for me to own his soul)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MY thinking was that his line looks like a T at worst but i can't see him having much better than a T very often so it's almost always a T. given that, i'm not paying him off with worse really ever... so it seems like a good spot to go for a river c/r with anything that can beat a T. that seems very obvious to me. so given that any decent player should usually c/r a boat here, i felt we were almost always chopping, and that shoving would get him off a T a LOT of the time (why the hell wouldn't it, if i posted this from the T perspectigve, you'd all say fold) plus it makes his life hell to play against me (which is always nice for him to play scurred poker and for me to own his soul)

[/ QUOTE ]

so you have no real read on your opponent but you're putting in a ton of money to win not much assuming with strong certainty that
a) he never slowplays a set or two pair on a straight flop
b) he is good enough to c/r the river here with a boat
c) he folds a ten here

Listen, this is crazy. I'm sorry, but you're assigning way too much significance to how you think people ought to play and assuming they play that way.

Some people don't like playing huge pots with bottom two ont this flop. Some people don't c/r this river (maybe they think you won't bet a 9 here but you'll call with it, maybe they're idiots who just don't c/r river hardly ever). Some people don't even bet a ten here just planning to give you rope and deciding to c/c here. If this were HU against some known thinking player your play would still be borderline bad but against an unknown you're giving way too much significance to the fact that if h has a big hand, villain didn't play his hand in a way you think he ought to.

All it takes is your opponent doing one thing that you don't consider standard and all of a sudden you're spewing off a buy-in.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a T should fold really, your line doesn't look much like a better hand to me. I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Without a read I do not like this. He his not folding a T as often as he is calling with a boat/JT. Call and move in next time in a similar spot
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM

fox,

mmm... ducks play is standard HU play. i think most HU players would agree on that...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fox,

mmm... ducks play is standard HU play. i think most HU players would agree on that...

[/ QUOTE ]

except for that both EC10 and I play primarily HU and disagree, as does Pasterbator who plays a lot of HU (I think) and the only HU player who likes this is sponger but he admits he's never tried it before so doubt it's his standard. plus lots of other good players don't like the play.

sorry for the bump but i'm drunk and this condescending comment with no explanation other than appeal to some imaginary authority tilted me.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM

wtf even i don't think this is standard. this is so far from standard it's unbelievable. i just thought it was something cool to try with a little bit of imagination. i got the point, people don't like it, ok let's move on...