Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Default shortstacking at a well run \"home\" game

I went to a new 1/2nl game last night where most people bought in for 200. I realized right away this game was ridiculous. Utg pf raises to 50. Multiple 400+ pots won with middle pairs. These guys are gamblers and drunks. I bought in for 200 even though my cash bankroll is 1200 and i dont feel extremely comfortable playing with that much on the table.

Im curious how annoying it would be to the other players for me to go in there and buy in for 50 and play a decent shortstack strategy untill my br is big enough that im comfortable taking small ev edges with a full stack.

Also a side note... i saw a guy call 150 on a board of 101077 with 22. Player who pushed all in had kq.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: shortstacking at a well run \"home\" game

[ QUOTE ]

Also a side note... i saw a guy call 150 on a board of 101077 with 22. Player who pushed all in had kq.

[/ QUOTE ]

GET AS MUCH MONEY ON THE TABLE AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM

NICE! nothing like losing a bunch of money to a board that conterfiets your hand. I guess this is the only way some people will learn.

As for your short stack statagey, I don't think that people would complain. They don't seem like a group of people who would complain about much at the tables. Though I would just play for a normal buy in and wait for a huge hand. You could very easily double or triple up w/ Aces or Kings.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GET AS MUCH MONEY ON THE TABLE AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i know i know. If i had a 5k bankroll i would buy in the max or enough to cover everytime i sat. However on a 1200 bankroll i dont feel like getting 200 all in pf with ak against q10 and j9. However id put 50 in in a heartbeat.

Also the guy was drunk and didnt realize the board paired which actually made it a good call. Still the funniest thing i have ever seen at a poker table.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM

OK, say you buyin for 100, whats the plan when you get down to 80-50 from blinds and folding? reload to 100? or play down to bust?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 PM

i say buy in for 100.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this game is anywhere in N. America, please invite me... I would love to see this for myself.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

I agree with buying in for $100. That's short stack enough. I'd buy back to $100 before I went below $60.

I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing at one of the home games I attend. It's 100nl. I usually buy in for $100, but I'm debating buying in for $50 just for the experience. It will be strange, though, because usually if I ever get down that low in a game, I buy back in for the full amount.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a new 1/2nl game last night where most people bought in for 200. I realized right away this game was ridiculous. Utg pf raises to 50. Multiple 400+ pots won with middle pairs. These guys are gamblers and drunks. I bought in for 200 even though my cash bankroll is 1200 and i dont feel extremely comfortable playing with that much on the table.

Im curious how annoying it would be to the other players for me to go in there and buy in for 50 and play a decent shortstack strategy untill my br is big enough that im comfortable taking small ev edges with a full stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played in games like this... play in it as much as possible because it will dry up / get better in about a years time. It will still be beatable but a little tougher as the guys who constantly lose eventually get tired of dumping their money and the rest will actually improve their games.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought in for 200 even though my cash bankroll is 1200 and i dont feel extremely comfortable playing with that much on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eat some spinach and take a chance.