Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: College Football Week 6

I'd like to see all these sportscasters who claim the betting line doesn't have anything to do with how good the teams are try and beat it for any statistically significant amount of time. I mean, if it's just a psychological/economic concept to get equal money on each side, surely anyone who knows anything about football should be able to make a killing, right?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bigger upset?

(1) App St over Mich
(2) Stanford over SC

*keep in mind Stanford started their backup QB and App St is a beast in D-2

[/ QUOTE ]

Stanford was 40- 41.5 pt dog, biggest upset ever, officially.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike Wilbon is unimpressed, apparently:

[ QUOTE ]
Washington DC: Wilbon,

How sick do you get of people claiming what just happened is the biggest thing that ever happened? I say this after listening to people claiming that USC losing to Stanford was the biggest upset in college football history.

Are you kidding me? In 5 years time people will still remember Michigan losing to App. State. No one will remember SC losing to a conference opponent.

Michael Wilbon: Anybody who says Stanford beating USC, a conference opponent, is the biggest upset of all-time is moronic and should be shut off.

Biggest upset: I think part of the hyperbole around the Stanford win has to do with the gambling obsession. It seems like a big upset because the spread was so large, not taking into account that the spread is a psychological/economic concept (how do I get money on both sides of the betting), not any actual evaluation of the relative strengths of the teams.

Michael Wilbon: Thank you, thank you, thank you. People have zero idea how the point-spread is established and mis-use the concept all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilbon is correct that a money line is far more important than a point spread in determining how big of an upset it is.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bigger upset?

(1) App St over Mich
(2) Stanford over SC

*keep in mind Stanford started their backup QB and App St is a beast in D-2

[/ QUOTE ]

Stanford was 40- 41.5 pt dog, biggest upset ever, officially.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike Wilbon is unimpressed, apparently:

[ QUOTE ]
Washington DC: Wilbon,

How sick do you get of people claiming what just happened is the biggest thing that ever happened? I say this after listening to people claiming that USC losing to Stanford was the biggest upset in college football history.

Are you kidding me? In 5 years time people will still remember Michigan losing to App. State. No one will remember SC losing to a conference opponent.

Michael Wilbon: Anybody who says Stanford beating USC, a conference opponent, is the biggest upset of all-time is moronic and should be shut off.

Biggest upset: I think part of the hyperbole around the Stanford win has to do with the gambling obsession. It seems like a big upset because the spread was so large, not taking into account that the spread is a psychological/economic concept (how do I get money on both sides of the betting), not any actual evaluation of the relative strengths of the teams.

Michael Wilbon: Thank you, thank you, thank you. People have zero idea how the point-spread is established and mis-use the concept all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahhaha....the sports media is so smart

hahahhahahahahha

those who can, bet on it
those who cannot, write editorials where they can never be wrong