Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Default microposter hand D (#12122766443): J9o

villain is unknown. donker who folds is our lag friend from the other hands.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

what is hero's plan here? c/c? c/f? donk??
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: microposter hand D (#12122766443): J9o

You could donk/fold the turn, and check the river if he just calls (probably folding). Then again, these games are aggressive, and folding one pair is LOL. The flop is pretty drawless, and getting 3-bet is a good sign that we're behind.

Buzz
Old 09-20-2007, 12:21 AM

I would lean towards calling villain down. Don't get frisky if a 9 hits, as it completes the straight.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 AM

C/F

3 bet from utg says your beat. Calling from utg could put him on numerous hands. All beating you...
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 AM

I'd check/call down.

In the actual hand when he checks behind the turn I can't imagine us beating any logically played hand on the Q river, I would've check/folded there.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Dont raise the flop.

Here is a thing for you FR guys who have learned poker reading SSSH books and the like.

Play passive in small pots and aggro in big pots!

There is few hands you can fold out behind you by raising but that will call if you just call.

When the pot is small you should focus on getting bets in. When it is big you should focus on winning it.

Every pot described in the "standard books" are big pots coompared to these small shorthanded pots. You need to adjust your play and stop thinking about protection.

I c/c down from the turn. Tho I am not sure. c/c c/f is another option.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 AM

oink,

meh.

i agree about being more passive in small pots and it's something i've been adding to my game recently. however, in this case, sb is donking with so much crap that this raise is for value.

[ QUOTE ]
When the pot is small you should focus on getting bets in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe raising does this while either protecting our (good but vulnerable) hand or getting our opponents to make a double-sized mistake to keep drawing.

but i'd like to hear more about the virtues of calling.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM

First

The pot is 5 SB's if you call. Its not a disaster to keep UTG in the pot. Except from KQ, Q9 and 98 there are no hands he can have where he have odds to call 1 bet but not 2 bets.

When we start out playing poker we are trained in protecting our hand. But thats cuz all beginners books are written for loose full ring games where most pots are big enough on the flop so that you want to get folds.

In this pot there is hardly any hand you want to fold in UTG's range - except from the OESD hands.

Second.

The fact that SB has a lot of crap is not an argument for raising. If he has air and would 2nd barrel the turn had you just called but folds to your raise, then your raise sucks.

If he has a 5 and would bet again on the turn but c/f if you raise. Then your raise sucks

If he has a gutshot and would bet again on the turn, but c/f if you raise. Then your raise sucks. - The same applies if he calls your turn bet but c/f's the river UI. If he would have 3 barreled then you want him to keep the initiative.

If you fold 9x, 5x or a gutshot behind you then you loose value. As already mentioned; you dont want to fold out UTG.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just finished watching the video and I think that Tyler's flop raise was standard.

I know that the pot is small, but I think that just calling the flop bet makes your hand vulnerable to being outdrawn if it is best.

The game has been quite agressive and SB has been pretty laggy and calling down sometimes with any piece of the board.

So, I also think that the flop raise was for value.

Enoyed watching the video, Tyler. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM

FWIW. I dont think raising the flop is terrible. Its close IMO, but I prefer calling for the reasons already mentioned.

Change the hand to T9 on the other hand, then I am confident that raising the flop is a significant mistake.