Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Final Tally of B&M Ages

[ QUOTE ]
Average Age: 34.6

Median Age: 33

I must admit I thought the B&M median age was going to be 36, so it is lower than i projected. I'm looking into the percentage of error for this sample size, and the percentage of respondents compared to the average unique visitors.

Total Respondents: 163.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if more young people responded to this post than older people. I am 46 and I wasn't really that interested in this. There may be others like me.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Not seeing the thread and/or didn't really notice it previously.
I'm 36.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I must admit I thought the B&M median age was going to be 36, so it is lower than i projected. I'm looking into the percentage of error for this sample size, and the percentage of respondents compared to the average unique visitors.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if more young people responded to this post than older people. I am 46 and I wasn't really that interested in this. There may be others like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we could only list what people wrote down. It was up for a couple of weeks and we got 163 names. GIGO.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not seeing the thread and/or didn't really notice it previously.
I'm 36.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where this is heading and I'm not going there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the average age of B&M is younger than I thought at about 34.6. I had expected 40+.

[/ QUOTE ]But you were still right... the average age IS 20 years older than the average of some of the other forums on 2+2
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a weighted average, using #posts (or similar fudge factor to reflect how active the poster is)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have that ability.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can be done on a spreadsheet - but would require manually retrieving the number of posts listed for each entrant (2+2 conveniently updates that field in all threads to equal the total number of posts). Once we have data for each poster (age and # of posts), a weighted average can be done by multiplying the two together, summing all such totals and then dividing by the sum of all posts. This is how I keep track of my winrate in terms of BB/hr across different LHE stakes.

As interesting as this might be, its meaning is offset by several mitigating factors:
1) people who have recently joined 2+2 would have fewer posts for factors unrelated to age
2) In order to accumulate huge numbers of posts, posters would have to have done it over many years (skewing to a higher weighted age).
3) the sample size is small enough that a few significant posters could alter the results

Having said all that - if I am unable to sleep some night, I might just do this...
Old 09-17-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we could only list what people wrote down. It was up for a couple of weeks and we got 163 names. GIGO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I shouldn't have even opened my big mouth here. I respect you and your posts Rottersod.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 Photoc

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still 29 for 10 more days, LOL!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the average age of B&M is younger than I thought at about 34.6. I had expected 40+.

[/ QUOTE ]But you were still right... the average age IS 20 years older than the average of some of the other forums on 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
30 Photoc

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still 29 for 10 more days, LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. The list is final. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]