Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Weird tournament ruling at WPT Biloxi

During the first event, I was short-stacked with 3 tables left (thinly veiled brag), and open pushed from CO. I verbally declared all-in, then arranged my chips to give SB a count. I said it was 8900 and SB decided to call. BB called as well.

As the dealer gathered the chips, he realized that my count was off by 5000 (I had miscalculated my stack of 500 chips--it was late). It turns out I had 13900, not 8900. The SB than says he would not have called had he known, but of course now he has the extra information that the BB is likely coming along.

The floor was called and once it was explained, the SB was allowed to take his money out of the pot.

I did not care either way. I would have been content to get it heads up or have a chance to triple up. But I am wondering if this was the correct ruling, and if not, what should the ruling have been.

Ultimately, I guess it was the dealer's fault for not getting his own count of my chips and relying on what I said. But I guess he was as tired as I was.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Weird tournament ruling at WPT Biloxi

You didnt know if you had 9k or 14k [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 06:35 PM

I knew what I had. For some reason I short-circuited when I counted it out. Plus at that point a 5000 chip difference was less then the combined size of the blinds and antes.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:12 PM

once u verbally declare all-in it don't matter if u have a million chips or not
Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 PM

I know. The issue isn't my chips or action. It's about what happened after I went all-in and what the ruling is regarding the small blind.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
During the first event, I was short-stacked with 3 tables left (thinly veiled brag), and open pushed from CO. I verbally declared all-in, then arranged my chips to give SB a count. I said it was 8900 and SB decided to call. BB called as well.

As the dealer gathered the chips, he realized that my count was off by 5000 (I had miscalculated my stack of 500 chips--it was late). It turns out I had 13900, not 8900. The SB than says he would not have called had he known, but of course now he has the extra information that the BB is likely coming along.

The floor was called and once it was explained, the SB was allowed to take his money out of the pot.

I did not care either way. I would have been content to get it heads up or have a chance to triple up. But I am wondering if this was the correct ruling, and if not, what should the ruling have been.

Ultimately, I guess it was the dealer's fault for not getting his own count of my chips and relying on what I said. But I guess he was as tired as I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad ruling. Once there is action after his then it should stand. Its his responsibility to ask for a dealer count.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 PM

I had a similar situation at last year's WSOP, but was in your opponent's shoes. It was a significant pot and while I knew I was behind I thought I had the proper odds based on the dealer count. However, when it turned out he had significantly more chips (I think she said 10k and it was really 18k or something like that).

I called the floor over and he decided since I verbalized "call" and pushed out 10k, those chips would have to stay in the pot. He gave me the option of saving the extra 10k by folding, but I chose to call since it was now only another 10k or so. It sucked because I would have never called 20k...
Old 09-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 PM

I left out the details of the hand because I didn't want it to sound like a veiled bad beat story. But I had A7o, and with an M of about 2. As it happened, the BB had A7 as well, but four clubs on the board made me a flush. The ruling cost me some chips, but I was just as happy not to have to beat two hands. I'm pretty sure it didn't affect my overall result.

Incidentally, this was only the second large-field tourney I've ever played in, and the first time I'd gotten that deep. It is amazing how short the stacks were at that crucial stage, and even more amazed at how many players were still in limp/fold and call/fold mode. In that sense, it was not much different from the weekly $100 buy in/100 player tourney I play in at my local B&M.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky