Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 03:13 PM

Default 9 handed, flop bottom set. What the hell do I do?

Playing $4/8 live at the Trop in AC. UTG folds. Everyone else limps in. I'm on button and limp in w/ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets. 6 call. I raise, 3 call, player to my right 3 bets. Hero?

BTW- No reads on anyone. I just sat down 10 mins. earlier.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: 9 handed, flop bottom set. What the hell do I do?

either cap or call and raise a safe turn. option 2 might be better.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM

I like a cap for value right now. If you're behind you'll still fill up about 35% of the time. Get the money in the pot now.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:31 PM

You have a lot of outs here. 1 4, 3 5s, 3 6s, a running pair and a backdoor flush draw (although a 4 flush on the board is probably bad for you). You also have a strong hand here. You might want to raise for value. The other advantage to raising here is that you'll be putting 2 bets in front of the other callers. The pot is already pretty big so they are likely to call, but if you get 1 or 2 to fold that are drawing to a gut shot or something it would be worth it. It is hard to say with no reads though.

Kit's option 2 might also be a good plan. You might be able to get a situation where everyone checks to the player on your right, who bets. You could then raise and try to create improper odds for the rest of the table.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM

Call and raise on the turn (assuming the turn is a blank). They talk about it in the 2+2 SSHE book. A cap here won't protect your hand vs. flush/std you'd be laying 1-10.5 to the field. If you call (and so will the 3 people behind you)you got 12.5 BB. Now with the player to your right as a probable bettor your raise will lay 1-6.75 to the field. Still correct for straight/flush draws to chase, but I noticed cold calling 2 big ones scares low stakes players who don't have a clue about any odds etc. (plus they'll be scared of a three-bet and a cap later) You're more likely to get them to fold.

But I guess your indecision is largely because you might be behind to a 78/55/66, (only possible hands, even donkeys dump 32 and 73) in which case you're drawing to 10 outs vs. 78 and 1 out vs. 55 or 66. There are many more ways for the opponent to have 78 than 55 or 66. So let's say you got 9 outs. In this case a cap is good as a value raise on your "draw" since the 4 handed field will call you down. Plus you may get a free showdown if you miss.

I would honestly assume I am ahead and wait till the turn to raise. In unknown SS assume your players play badly until proven otherwise.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus you may get a free showdown if you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds good, except for this last part. if villain checks a blank river theres no way i check behind.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Sorry I ment free card. You would have to be very sure you're up against a 78 to take it on the turn though. I agree with the showdown point. The villain could very well be overplaying A6 or 56s. Good point.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus you may get a free showdown if you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds good, except for this last part. if villain checks a blank river theres no way i check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would we ever take a free showdown with this hand?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 PM

More bets pre-flop. More bets on the flop.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 PM

OK, well I called as did everyone else. The turn was a 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bet out again, 1 guy called, and the guy that 3 bet the flop raised. What do I do now?