Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: On Ghosting

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think that getting sweated by a better player is unethical really, given that there is not, and has never been, and likely never will be a precedent for 1 player to a hand in online poker. People need to stop using live as a frame of reference for online poker. The fact is, they are just 2 different beasts in this day, and I do not see why we need to say "well x should happen online, because it happens live."

Anyways, I'm willing to be convincned I am wrong, so discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong. Want to know why?

I go downstairs into the turning stone poker room. I find a random donkey playing 100max and say, yo I'm stealthmunk, best poker donkamenter in the world. Let me back you in the sunday million for 90% and I'll coach and ghost you over AIM. He obviously agrees, who wouldn't?

Is there any difference from what happens above and multiaccounting? NOPE. Only multiaccounting is against sites TOS and ghosting is legit as it is clear there is no 1 player to a hand rule in online poker.

I win.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Justin, you would be paying a fee to multi account therefore it's okay.

duhhh
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think that getting sweated by a better player is unethical really, given that there is not, and has never been, and likely never will be a precedent for 1 player to a hand in online poker. People need to stop using live as a frame of reference for online poker. The fact is, they are just 2 different beasts in this day, and I do not see why we need to say "well x should happen online, because it happens live."

[/ QUOTE ]

I go downstairs into the turning stone poker room. I find a random donkey playing 100max and say, yo I'm stealthmunk, best poker donkamenter in the world. Let me back you in the sunday million for 90% and I'll coach and ghost you over AIM. He obviously agrees, who wouldn't?

Is there any difference from what happens above and multiaccounting? NOPE. Only multiaccounting is against sites TOS and ghosting is legit as it is clear there is no 1 player to a hand rule in online poker.

I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't you agreeing with him?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't you agreeing with him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just because it is permitted by the site (legit) doesn't mean it is ethically sound. Ghosting/AIM/"multiaccounting" are all part of a huge grey area that is how rigged online poker is, [censored] is rampant yo. you can't say x is legit but y isn't. it all isn't legit. its the internet. and when there is a lot of money to be won, smart people will ALWAYS do whatever it takes to get that chedda. facts are facts.

point of my post was saying ghosting is just multiaccounting 90% lolz (above post). and as multiaccounting is seen as unethical, ghosting should be seen as unethical too.
PERIOD.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM

We should just put a ban on ghosting. That would end all this multiaccounting ish, no being on the phone, aim, etc. Obviously this would be incredibly difficult to enforce but I think its worth doing for our ROIs. Why can't we make online poker as legit as possible ourselves?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP didnt mention financial interest, and that doesnt really make a difference IMO.

i.e. if a staker was on the phone with one of the guys he backs while the backee wins a tournament, i think it's fine

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of examples: Staker has been in the same tournament with his backee and then he ghosts his backee.
OR
Staker has more than one backee in the same tournament and he ghosts more than one of his backees.

In my opinion, both of these examples are the equivalent of multi-accounting.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its fine as long as the ghoster doesn't have a financial interest in the horse , if it meant no ghosting and no multiaccounting / JJprod super sweats I would give it up in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this require full disclosure of who stakes/bought action of who, and also require everyone to know who everyone else was talking to at all points of the tournament? completely & utterly unenforcecable
Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should just put a ban on ghosting. That would end all this multiaccounting ish, no being on the phone, aim, etc. Obviously this would be incredibly difficult to enforce but I think its worth doing for our ROIs. Why can't we make online poker as legit as possible ourselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lold at your utopian logic. You can't prove ghosting so it would just create a witch hunt. Even though that is happening now. Online poker won't be legit, yo. Its the internet. There will never be a 1 player to a hand rule on the internet and it makes more sense to condone multiaccounting as a whole than try to ban ghosting / aim lolz.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its fine as long as the ghoster doesn't have a financial interest in the horse , if it meant no ghosting and no multiaccounting / JJprod super sweats I would give it up in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this require full disclosure of who stakes/bought action of who, and also require everyone to know who everyone else was talking to at all points of the tournament? completely & utterly unenforcecable

[/ QUOTE ]

Enforceability has nothing to do with acting ethically. Also, you can't make ethical decisions based on what everyone else is doing.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's saying the sites should enforce this, Rather that in his own personal opinion this is where the ethical line is drawn...