Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Check out Joe Morgan\'s ESPN Chat today!

Boris,

Explain to me how he is good? What does he do that's better than your avg color man?

My observations:

Even the observations he makes that are correct are pretty obvious and trite. He doesn't offer any insight into the game that basically every other color man in baseball doesn't already have. The only thing he's got going for him is that he is Joe Morgan, Famous person.

If all he did was mouthify Sheff, that would be fine. Instead he is just flagrantly wrong. Since you seem unlikely to read the link, an example:

Joe suggests that Luis Castillo would have trouble in Wrigley because he's been in the AL his whole career. As most even casual baseball fans who know enough to know who Castillo is would recall, Castillo spent most of his career with the Marlins.

Also, if you read JOECHAT you have to understand that this is less about his ability to call a baseball game and more about just how horrible his answers are to these chat questions.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joe would be better if he could stay consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know if I can agree with this statement, because I haven't heard him call any games this year. But people tell me he needs to be more consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add another 75 words and this is perfect.

To everyone else: that's about the typical Joe Morgan response to a thread. He hasn't seen anyone play, except probably the Yankees. And maybe the Reds. So he tells somebody who asks him a question that he can't answer it, but says they need to be more consistent anyway.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Joe Morgan hate is blown way out of proportion. He's a good announcer. Of course some things are annoying. Like his knob slobbering over Gary Sheffield. But nobody is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defend this. Please, defend this. I don't ask for much out of my baseball analysts, but to completely and consistently get basic facts wrong is just horrible. He doesn't look up stats, hell, he doesn't even watch any of the games unless he's calling them. He's clearly just making things up off the top of his head.

[ QUOTE ]
Christian (Culver City, CA): Hey Joe, with the Dodgers not pulling the trigger on a power hitter at the deadline, you have to believe they are regretting it with their recent slide.

Joe Morgan: Well, they should have regretted it from the beginning. They've always needed a bat. They only have Jeff Kent as a slugger. They should have seen that a long time ago. I don't know why they didn't make a trade. They didn't want to trade their younger players. They'll just have to ride it out. They don't have enough offense to win the west.

KT: Current Standings, NL West, and # of runs scored for each team

1. Arizona - 467
2. San Diego - 477
3. Not-Enough-Offense-to-Win-the-West L.A. Dodgers - 506

I swear, Joe Morgan has never looked anything up in his entire life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Joe Morgan hate is blown way out of proportion. He's a good announcer. Of course some things are annoying. Like his knob slobbering over Gary Sheffield. But nobody is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel this way about McCarver, but not about Joe. He's awful. Aside from his asinine remarks about baseball statistics, strategies, and tired cliches (which McCarver is also guilty of), he rambles on and on and on. He gets caught up in a meaningless rant or keeps bringing up a worn out debate from earlier in the game, often missing the action that's right there in front of him. You can go 2 ABs without hearing jack about what's going on in the game because Joe is babbling about some dumb point from the previous inning. Then you've got the whole "I don't know", "I'm not in a position to say", "I can't comment on that" shtick, and he's just laughable.

It's a shame, too, because I like John Miller.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan: The Mets' weakness is their starting pitching. Their lineup is so much better than everyone elses.

Mets 2007 NL Ranks:

Runs: 7th
OPS: 6th

ERA: 2nd
BAA: 1st

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Morgan is an idiot. It's science.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Morgan: The Mets' weakness is their starting pitching. Their lineup is so much better than everyone elses.

Mets 2007 NL Ranks:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! This is awesome.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mets 2007 NL Ranks:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clearly just a case of not following teams close enough. if you look at the names of the mets' starters, and their lineup, it'd probably be easy enough to conclude the same thing. but alou and green are way past their primes, delgado has had a garbage year, etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:24 PM

As a premier Emmy award winning baseball analyst for ESPN, the worldwide leader in sports, I'm pretty sure that not following the teams closely is not an excuse, but rather an admission of complete and utter incompetence.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM

It's his job to follow the teams closely, especially the good ones. There really isn't any excuse for Joe Morgan to not know that the Mets problems this year have been with the offense and not with the pitching.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My observations:

Even the observations he makes that are correct are pretty obvious and trite. He doesn't offer any insight into the game that basically every other color man in baseball doesn't already have. The only thing he's got going for him is that he is Joe Morgan, Famous person.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound ludicrous to some of you JM haters but he does actually provide insight that most of the viewing audience does not catch on to. Even myself, whom have followed baseball for my entire life still don't always notice small observations that he picks up on throughout the games.

I actually do have a degree in statistics and can appreciate some of the things he says.

That being said he still needs to be fired or censored heavily. I would like to have a poll of listeners to sports radio chime in and give some kind of approval rating. It would probably be fairly high.