Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: grade the level of poker thinking in this explanation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Though neither scenario is probable I think it is definitely frustrating to put so much effort into a game that is so luck-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one is making you play...and are you the first to discover that poker involves luck? It has been said many times, any given player can win on any given day, but good players find a way to win more than they lose. If you have been losing for the last 3 months in what you describe as an easy game, maybe you should find better things to do with your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noles, please dont take my comments as a dig on you. I am not suggesting poker in general is a luckfest. I am suggesting lhe is. Now obviously the better players will get the money in the long run, but I am suggesting that it is extremely difficult to maintain a certain level of play in the face of repeated disgusting beats. Im not talking about getting 2 outed a couple times in a session. I am talking about getting 2 and 3 outed everytime its possible to get 2 and 3 outed. Im talking about never making an oesd or a flush. I know that things will get better, but one honestly wonders if it is game worth playing if it is possible to run bad for such an extended period.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that hero's response as far as the flop and river go are simplistic. Obv, you are not worried about trying to fold out a better hand when you have an equity edge on the flop and I think his river fold is pretty atrocious and extremely exploitable. I think he underestimates the range of any thinking bb in this situation.

I also agree with the OPs premise that if a player of this caliber is able to win and succeed at high stakes online games for many years, then maybe LHE is not worth playing for a living. I have been losing for 3 months in a game that most people with a pulse and any patience could beat and that leads me to believe the same. If its possible to run good for several years then certainly it is possible to run bad for that long. Though neither scenario is probable I think it is definitely frustrating to put so much effort into a game that is so luck-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo a HUGE part of one's limit hold'em success has to do with how they play when things are going to hell, and to hell they often go. i have heard countless people described as "good players when things are going their way", but these same people totally lose their minds when they start blowing. it's easy to play well (or at least not horribly) when things are going your way.

(this is not at all intended to suggest you are not playing well during the last few months, mitch. but rather to suggest that I am sure go_seminoles was blessed with the ability to avoid really [censored] luck. we both know how a particular idiot completely murdered the CB 30 game for 2 straight months, and he was arguably one of the worst players ever. it happens in this dumb game.)

as far the reasoning go_seminoles gives for his play in this particular hand, it explains a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, you know and I both know what is possible in lhe. When I first read about BK and others bad runs I never gave it much thought, bc they played in much tougher games than I, but theirs is a good example of what is possible even for great players. I know its impossible for me to have played very well over this stretch, but it wouldn't take my A game to beat the 15/30 at Canterbury. It essentially all comes down to what one is willing to withstand mentally and monetarily. There are players that have moved from the 15 to the 30 whom I have never seen play a single hand w/o making some egregious error and there are seemingly good players that make several mistakes a session that are just mind boggling.I always thought I was prepared for bad runs, bc I have been on a couple of very prolonged ones, but the one I am currently on (live) is almost enough to quit. Ive become quite envious of certain players who haven't had to work grinding out their success, but Ive put to much effort into learning this game to just give up while there is money to be made. Hopefully, I dont go broke before the cards start falling my way.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Im not saying edge in this EXACT scenario.. Im saying IN GENERAL in similar scenarios. "

nice try heis.

the rest of you rambling posts (which i didnt read the first time and wish i hadnt ever) are fairly idiotic (and surprisingly insulting.) go ahead and extend my analysis on this hand to all other situations that arent close to the same. makes sense bc ya i just exactly said any and every time we have an equity edge we should raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your such a grumpy [censored] lol.
If your entire thought process = equity edge raise, then yes your thinking is narrow minded.

However, youve proven me right by your post by saying this situation is different than others.

equity edge = raise, may have been all that went through your coniscince. However, Sub-consciously you obviously recognized many other factors that that you just didnt say.. How else are you supposed to distinguish between two similar situations? Thinking verbally about something and being able to express it are two different beasts.

You know what words go through my head before I make a play 90% of the time? NONE. Does that mean im not "thinking" no. Im recognizing the scenario as one similar to something I know the answer to.. Originally I did a LOT of thinking on it.

If I replied to this thread, "I wouldnt think about this, I would just do this".. Would you say that is good rationale?
I doubt it...

Im not attacking you as a player, your obv good and you answered what I think is the right answer.
You seriously need to smoke a joint and hug a tree..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 AM

"Im talking about never making an oesd or a flush."

those are not good draws on the flop anyway. i always just check and call.