Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: foxwoods 5/10 haven\'t been this confused in a while

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I think the hand is standard until the river - for everyone that wants to lead out on the turn... I hate that. I think our hand is quite weak and stack protection comes much more into play here than protecting a small pot of only 200 dollars. It isn't worth it, it's not like there's 2k sitting out there. I called because often enough the 2h will roll off on the river and it will go check check check and I'll win... but if anyone puts in any more money, I'm pretty much a dead duck (so to speak)

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense to me at all. With a bet and a call in front of you, you still think you often have the best hand. So you're obviously willing to put money into the pot. Why not do it as a bettor rather than as an overcaller? You're playing your hand like a draw, when really it's a made hand with small odds to improve. And your whole thought process is so weird. I'm not suggesting stacking off here. If you bet and get two calls, you're in the exact same spot as you are in now. And if someone raises the turn, you fold. Sure, there's no 2K sitting out there, but you also aren't betting 1200 to protect it, you're only betting 150 or whatever.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM

but i get the same thing accomplished by playing it as i did plus i induce bluffs. but most importantly, if someone has a monster (as i thought UTG might very well have) i find out when he bets the river and i spend the same amount of money as if i had been raised on the turn. AND i get a cheap chance to boat up and make some serious loot since it's hard to put me on a boat. that was the plan, to c/r UTG. unfortunately he's tight and not an aggressive value bettor so it didn't work out.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM

the fact that jack is going to show up with something that will never call your c/r a large part of the time makes smooth calling a viable option. at the same time, jack loves to call, and depending on the mood he's in you could be missing tons of value. i think making a decent size check raise on the river and getting looked up by jacks trips (i really don't think he has a flush here ever) or smaller boat is going to get more value in the long run than an overcall from UTG.

edit - i liked the way you played the hand on the flop and turn. i also like the river check. it gives you a chance to check raise utg who very often has a flush. also, it gives jack a chance to bluff. he will fire this river a lot, especially since the pot is pretty big.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 PM

but you're not going to get bluffs (who bluffs 5 way?). you're going to get it checked through again.