Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Improving running times?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Running intervals both hurt and get you injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? Just stretch and warm up, you'll be fine

If you are on a track try doing some 400m intervals. (1 lap) Its not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never did speed work. My PR for the 10K is 36.03. That's 5:47/m for 6.2 miles. I was running over 60 miles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats

Because it worked for you =/= optimal
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I never did speed work. My PR for the 10K is 36.03. That's 5:47/m for 6.2 miles. I was running over 60 miles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's impressive. The OP appears to run at most 4 times a week, totaling between 9 and 15 miles. He'd like to improve his mile time. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats

Because it worked for you =/= optimal

[/ QUOTE ]

Rearden,

I'm so happy for you. You're coming over to the "although you may be puny and small, it has little bearing on whether your ideas may work or not. Perhaps you are just lazy" and of course the corollary "I eat like 3 lbs of tilapia a day and do 20 sets per body part once a week. Here look at my photo" doesn't mean you know anything either.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 PM

Thremp,

I believe you're refering to a debate we had months ago over valid credentials in arguements. I'll freely admit that my side was presented poorly. Since that time, especially in light of numerous posts on here using that "it worked for me so its gold" arguement, I've clarified my thinking on the subject. That being said I would also like to state that many of your posts have been better in not being just randomly harsh but rather saying things like "read the [censored] FAQs" when the poster should in fact read the [censored] FAQs. I approve.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

I believe you're refering to a debate we had months ago over valid credentials in arguements. I'll freely admit that my side was presented poorly. Since that time, especially in light of numerous posts on here using that "it worked for me so its gold" arguement, I've clarified my thinking on the subject. That being said I would also like to state that many of your posts have been better in not being just randomly harsh but rather saying things like "read the [censored] FAQs" when the poster should in fact read the [censored] FAQs. I approve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see we are in agreement.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JEALOUS MUCH [censored]?????!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats very impressive, but I think that training for shorter distances is a little different than training for a 10k
Old 08-04-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your heart rate is over 85 beats/min, trying to run sub-6 is insane. You would get a heart attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

My resting hr is ridiculously high - like 90, and a sub-6 mile would be cake for me. I also have way more mass than is optimal for middle/long distance running.

If you're under 50 and not obese/horrible family history I seriously doubt running really hard or doing anything at high intensity is going to "guarantee a heart attack".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I lied. Ran a mile today in 6:02 and it's been about 10 minutes since I finished and my insides still feel like they want to be on the outside. It was hot out and hilly but still, I'm in in crappy shape.

route for elevation changes comparison
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 AM

If you do lots of slow miles you'll get very good indeed at running lots of miles slowly.

If you want to improve your time over a mile then you need 3 things:

1. Stamina - you need to be able to cover training distances reasonably comfortably. Do enough mileage so that running 5 miles at 7:30 pace is not too difficult. Run 3 days a week.
2. Strength - run hills. Find a reasonably steep hill that you can run up in about a minute or so. Time yourself bottom to top, then jog back. Repeat until you puke. Once a week only. Rest the following day.
3. Speed - one session a week. Go to a track, warm up for a couple of laps and then run one lap at between 80 and 90% effort. Have a break, then do one more. Then do 4 x 200m at 90% with a break after each. Then do 8 x 100 flat out, with a break after each. Rest the following day.

If you've got a heart rate monitor, use it to space your breaks and to time your runs. Keep the long runs very easy, especially the ones after the hill session and the track session, but throw in some fartlek now and then.

Pick a date when you're going to do the mile and don't do any hills or track for 10 days before that day and only do some light jogging once or twice in the last week. Think about running it all the time. Imagine yourself crossing the line in 5:55.

Tell everyone that you're going to break 6 minutes and get all your mates there to cheer you on. Tell them to bring beer 'cos you're gonna [censored] kill it, then get pissed.