Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Moneymaker\'s bluff against Farha

Off topic, but the rest of the videos on that site from the '03 Main Event are great. Alot of good stuff from Scotty Nguyen. Can't wait to watch him on this year's ME broadcast.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who is moneymaker?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's one of the biggest, if not biggest, reason that you are posting on this forum.

As Mike Matusow repeatedly says, God Bless Chris Moneymaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]

UBER-LEVELED
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Does anyone else think that Farha might be lying about saying that he thought he had the best hand, but folded because he thought he could outplay Moneymaker? I think he would lie just to save face and not admit that he misread the amateur. I think that Farha actually put Moneymaker on either a flush or a slowplayed overpair, with the possibility that he might be semibluffing with the ace of spades.

Supposedly (I think I've heard Howard Lederer, among others, say or write this), Moneymaker's strengths include the ability to sense weakness, something that was made mostly irrelevant in the all-in-or-fold of Poker Superstars on FSN. I think that Moneymaker did pick up on some flush phobia on the part of Farha and believed that he could force some better hands to fold.

I think that Moneymaker did good by breaking up his bluff into two bets. I believe that Farha calls if Moneymaker makes the big raise all-in on the turn with his huge combo draw like some people would. After it went check-check on the flop, Farha overbet the pot on the turn (300K in a 210K pot, if descriptions on the internet are correct) and Moneymaker raised enough to give Farha about 2.5:1 to call with top pair and a one-card queen-high flush draw. That should be a scary raise. If you've read NLHE:TAP, the book claims that a raise with chips left behind for big bets on future streets can be scarier than a big all-in, and I think that this hand was an illustration of that principle at work.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...farha even said that he was almost positive he was good but figured he could out play him and it was not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how seriously we should take Farha's comment since all the chips went in on the very next hand.

You can get most of the details of the two hands here.

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/13289
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM

Seems to me that if your opponent thinks he's going to be able to outplay you, you should be making more big bluffs like this that stop him being able to do that.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...farha even said that he was almost positive he was good but figured he could out play him and it was not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how seriously we should take Farha's comment since all the chips went in on the very next hand.

You can get most of the details of the two hands here.

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/13289

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he flopped top pair, and the action was still on the flop, with no real draws out there. Different situation than facing an all in bet on the river. Also, if he had figured Moneymaker was trying to bluff him the last hand, knew he was capable of that, he may have thought Moneymaker was weak here.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesnt prove a thing, imo. He flopped TP, and felt like Moneymaker was being too aggressive.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:40 PM

I've also heard Farha say he made a bad play and it cost him the tournament.

It's easy for everyone to sit here and say that CM's bluff was "transparent," but not so easy when your opponent has three-barreled at you and gone all in on the river, and you just have a measly pair of 9s.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Moneymaker made a nice bluff on Ferguson during PAD too. He went into the tank for a few minutes then bluffed Chris out of something like a K 10 K flop while Chris held a 10. He's better than many give him credit for.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also heard Farha say he made a bad play and it cost him the tournament.

It's easy for everyone to sit here and say that CM's bluff was "transparent," but not so easy when your opponent has three-barreled at you and gone all in on the river, and you just have a measly pair of 9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you only beat a pure bluff on the river. One way to avoid this is to just never fold TP HU. Wheeee.