Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Smoked Meat

It's this big gourmet favorite these days, but used to be common for people to eat in the old days. They chop or saw thick bones, like cow leg bones, up into chunks, so they're kind of like a doughut of bone around a hole of marrow. Then they roast the bones, I think, and may or may not do something to the marrow like spice it. I read chefs raving about it a good bit, but have never had it and don't know much about it.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's this big gourmet favorite these days, but used to be common for people to eat in the old days. They chop or saw thick bones, like cow leg bones, up into chunks, so they're kind of like a doughut of bone around a hole of marrow. Then they roast the bones, I think, and may or may not do something to the marrow like spice it. I read chefs raving about it a good bit, but have never had it and don't know much about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinds of restaurants serve it (italian, french etc)? Ive never seen it on a menu before, and figured the only person who made it anymore was my dad when I begged him to for easter and stuff.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 PM

Oh, ya, Dinosaur bones (beef ribs), forgot abotu them, they are really good too. I dont like traditional rubs for beef though, i made a paste of garlic, a little basil, a lot of parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, and rubbed it on and let it sit for a day. Smoke them with oak, and set out a bowl with minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley in it.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Get a boneless leg of lamb, cut some shallow slits in it and stuff them with sliced garlic. Rub some olive oil and white wine all over the outside and toss it in the smoker. Outstanding.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a boneless leg of lamb, cut some shallow slits in it and stuff them with sliced garlic. Rub some olive oil and white wine all over the outside and toss it in the smoker. Outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea a lot, because I've never even eaten lamb in my life. The problem is that I don't even know where to buy it.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea a lot, because I've never even eaten lamb in my life. The problem is that I don't even know where to buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to really get into bbq/smoking etc, find yourself a godo source for all your stuff, look int eh phone book or shop around for a good butcher, use him exclusively, develop a relationship, they will get you anything, and go the extra mile as far as cutting/tieing etc, its well worth it.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM

guids,

I have 2 meat markets in my town, and 2 grocery stores. I'm on good terms with the one meat market, but they failed me by not having any brisket today so I don't know how to treat him anymore. I try and buy all my meats from the local small meat market as they always have much better quality then your grocery store. I went to all 4 today though, and none of them had brisket.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinds of restaurants serve it (italian, french etc)? Ive never seen it on a menu before, and figured the only person who made it anymore was my dad when I begged him to for easter and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anthony Bourdian always writes how much he loves it(I think I may have read him saying it's his favorite dish yesterday). I know he has said it is in French cuisine, and also that Mario Batali makes it, so Italian too.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 PM

If it can do cold smoking, homemade bacon!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it can do cold smoking, homemade bacon!

[/ QUOTE ]
If anyone here actually knows how to do this I'd be very open to making my own bacon. I eat it just about every morning so it would cut down on cost big time if I could make my own.