Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Smoked Meat

PM guids if he doesn't show up, he loves his (Weber?) smoker.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 PM

I'd try sausage.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blarg,

A turkey wont fit on the current smoker, but I have smoked turkey before with good results. Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon. WTF is OX tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ox tail, the tail of an ox dur.

My dad uses the electric ones, its really easy but I like real charcoal/wood smokers. I have a weber smoky mountain:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Brisket is a bitch to do right, Ive done 3, and they were super super tender, but they were just a tiny bit dry (each smoke was over 12 hours). the trick is to find a good brisket, not one from sams club, one from a real butcher. Ribs are actually the easiest thing imo, make sure you match your wood up with what you are smoking. Mesquite is rarely good for much unless its brisket or some other big side of beef, oak is what I normally use, but for smaller cuts of pork (ribs, sausage, etc) I like apple/cherry or something similar.

what Ive done so far:

crown roast: probably my favorite so far, turned out unbelievably well

turkey: I posted pics etc in teh bbq thread in ELd's forum, turned out really well for my first time, the wood was a little to strong, and the brine was too spicy imo

beer can chicken: always great, and easy, I like to get honey and drizzle it over the bid towards the end

with any bird, I usually baste it with some butter and herbs because you need to crisp the skin up (if you are using electric, just crisp it up at the begining on the gas grill)

oh ya, at our school picnic, I smoked some salsissa, I had random people that I didnt know who drifted over to the house we were cooking at go to teh store to get more becuase we ran out, and I promised them more, it was really that good. I used apple + cherry + oak.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blarg,

A turkey wont fit on the current smoker, but I have smoked turkey before with good results. Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon. WTF is OX tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you cut the turkey in half or in pieces maybe?

Ox tails is just what it sounds like. People make stews out of them and probably eat them other ways.

Would rabbit be any good smoked? How about duck? People roast marrow bones. Would smoking them be any good?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Salmon is a good suggestion, and something i will have to try soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love smoked salmon but prefer smoked trout. Yum yum. I need to get me a smoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

After a trip I'll be making here in a few weeks I hope that I'll be able to try trout out too, but there's no promises on it. A fishing bachelor party is always fun though.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Well, you can smoke just about any kind of meat. But I would recomend fish (esp salmon), sausage, chicken, goose, pheasant, and finally ribeye steaks. DAMN, now I gotta go get my smoker out and ribs tomorrow. SWEET!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 PM

ribeye steaks? really? how do you do those?

I have yet to do a duck, sooner or later I will, or maybe a turduckin.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
beer can chicken: always great, and easy, I like to get honey and drizzle it over the bid towards the end

[/ QUOTE ]

Done this many times in the oven, but was unaware that you could smoke it like this. I will give this a shot though.
[ QUOTE ]
Would rabbit be any good smoked? How about duck? People roast marrow bones. Would smoking them be any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have rabbit in the freezer, so I could try that although I think it might be too gamy for smoking, but I could be wrong. I don't have any duck, but that would prob be a good one too. What's marrow bone?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ribeye steaks? really? how do you do those?

I have yet to do a duck, sooner or later I will, or maybe a turduckin.

[/ QUOTE ]

a turduckin is a long lasted running joke with me and my friends, I'd almost hate to ruin the joke by actualy buying one and eating it.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Done this many times in the oven, but was unaware that you could smoke it like this. I will give this a shot though.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have rabbit in the freezer, so I could try that although I think it might be too gamy for smoking, but I could be wrong. I don't have any duck, but that would prob be a good one too. What's marrow bone?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, bone marrow and things like that wouldnt be a good smoke. marrow is basically just a bone, braised, and you suck the meat out of it..it is one of my fav meals. You dont want to smoke meat just because it is meat. Things like steak, marrow, etc, stuff that you want to eat for teh taste of the meat isnt really good smoked imo, too much flavor loss. let me knwo how the rabbit turns out, I think that could go either way.