Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Time to change all star voting?

I think there are pretty clear inequities here. It's basically the Red Sox/Yankees show in the AL, I haven't really followed the NL selections over the last few years. I think going back to only voting in the parks, and having a limited number of ballots would be a great improvement. e.g. Each team gets 30,000 ballots for each home game or something similar.

All together better would just to have a panel select the team, because there are quite a few ridiculous things being voted for.

Pudge (42 G, 90 OPS+), Mauer (28 G, 150 OPS+) and Varitek (40 G, 115 OPS+) are top three for the AL Catcher. Clearly none of these guys should be starting in front of Jorge Posada (47 G, 165 OPS+) or Victor Martinez (43 G, 137 OPS+), although Mauer would deserve consideration had he stayed healthy.

At second base, Robinson Cano (76 OPS+) leads Placido Polanco (114 OPS+) and Ian Kinsler (100 OPS+). Once again, the two best offensive second basemen this year are unrepresented. Dustin Pedroia (118 OPS+) has turned around his slow start while B.J. Upton (147 OPS+) has been an absolute monster at second.

The best offensive players at short, third and first will be represented, although it's a farce that Justin Morneau (156 OPS+) has no shot at overtaking Ortiz (168 OPS+). He's probably been more valuable when taking into account defense at first base. Of course, Youkilis (163 OPS+) is the best choice, but he's not on the ballot.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Time to change all star voting?

You are under the impression that the All-Star game is for the best players at each position, It is not. If the fans want to see Boof Bonser and So Taguchi, then they should be starting.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM

It depends on what the goal of the game is. Is it for the players or for the fans?

Many would say (including the players themselves) that this game is for the fans and barring a big bonus for making the team, the players would rather have the 3 days off with their friends and family.

That said, the current voting system (for starters only) is the fans's choice and gives the fans what they want and what they vote for.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:00 PM

fix the cy young and MVP voting first
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are under the impression that the All-Star game is for the best players at each position, It is not. If the fans want to see Boof Bonser and So Taguchi, then they should be starting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not what all the fans want to see. It's just a competition between the largest markets of the AL, Detroit, New York, and Boston. The fans of Minnesota and Oakland should have just as much input on who goes as the fans of New York and Boston. (Even if there are not as many of them!)
Old 05-30-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not what all the fans want to see. It's just a competition between the largest markets of the AL, Detroit, New York, and Boston. The fans of Minnesota and Oakland should have just as much input on who goes as the fans of New York and Boston. (Even if there are not as many of them!)

[/ QUOTE ]

So why should a Twins fan's vote have more comparative value than a Yanks fan?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why should a Twins fan's vote have more comparative value than a Yanks fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of fairness to the players. As it is, by playing for one of the three biggest market teams, you guarantee yourself a disproportionate number of votes. e.g. Coco Crisp (66 OPS+, 12th with 178,152 votes), J.D. Drew (82 OPS+, 8th with 253,472 votes), and Manny Ramirez. (112 OPS+, 2nd with 449,372 votes)
Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM

i dont really get why an all-star berth should be akin to getting a first-half MVP award

the best players should go with a tilt towards exciting and popular players. the best players aren't gonna be the best for every 300 PA sample

i mean do u really want to see reggie willits ahead of manny?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont really get why an all-star berth should be akin to getting a first-half MVP award

the best players should go with a tilt towards exciting and popular players. the best players aren't gonna be the best for every 300 PA sample

i mean do u really want to see reggie willits ahead of manny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget Reggie Willits (122 OPS+). What about Curtis Granderson (140 OPS+), Magglio Ordonez (193 OPS+), Gary Sheffield (131 OPS+), Grady Sizemore (126 OPS+), Hideki Matsui (127 OPS+), Torii Hunter (145 OPS+), Mike Cuddyer (129 OPS+), Carl Crawford (129 OPS+), Alex Rios (132 OPS+), Nick Swisher (158 OPS+), Travis Buck (146 OPS+)?

I'm not saying put in scrubs who were marginally better than a slumping Manny Ramirez. But certainly don't leave out stars that are having great seasons.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM

i dunno

manny vs magglio. i think most ppl will agree that manny is the better player by a pretty decent margin. manny's also more popular and more interesting than magglio. so, i'd rather have manny starting. 200 PAs doesn't really sway my opinion much.

if it were up to me i'd have nate silver run PECOTA at the mid-way point and the best 50 players go to the ASG with a tilt towards the bigger names