Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Default 2/5 live deep - 2nd nuts

hey, live game in nyc, effective stacks are about 1300. my image is fairly active, though i have shown down some pretty good hands. i haven't been too crazy out of line, but definitely the most aggressive at the table.

SB is one of the tightest players at the table, though he did just show down a raise and C-bet with Q7s in position. I have a feeling that was his one image bluff of the night, but I guess he isn't uber-rock, FWIW.

3 limps, i limp in with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], total 8 people see flop.

flop (40): 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB leads out 40. BB calls, mp1 calls, mp2 calls. i make it 200 to go. folds back to SB who raises an additional 325 on top.

i puke and do what?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: 2/5 live deep - 2nd nuts

If SB is as nitty as you describe this is a set or a stright. Although he is in the sb, and it opens his range, I don't think this kind of player goes too crazy with 2 pair on such a drawy board. Since stack sizes are awkward I guess I call and call his shove on all turns.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM

this is not a set or a straight. this is a straight. not only for total nits but for anyone really with this action. the question is how often is this the lower straight and how often is it the higher one? and also can i just call and plan to fold to a blank on the turn if he shoves (thinking he'll shut down with 45 if called) or is that just ludicrous?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM

yeah that is ludicrous, fold pf (boo pf advice in msnl!)

as played I probably go ai, if your viewed as wild I wouldn't be very shocked to see a set here sometimes and the lower straight.

on a different note, I saw your 52s hand last night at the mgm, hilarious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM

i would just call and call a turn shove.

i find that even people who you think are decent or nitty or whatever, esp given ur image, will be afraid of u drawing out and are still capable of going crazy w/ 2pr, set, ass end.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM

I don't really see how you can say this not a set.

You say that 45 is definitely possible and that 99 isn't? This guy is probably gonna be playing hands like 89 like the nuts aswell.

For the first part 99 is a much better hand than 45 on this board, so I don't really see how you rate 45 better especially given that they are essentially the same hand but 99 has a [censored] tonnnnnnne more redraws when behind.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:43 PM

I know this club very well, and she's right. It's a set rarely with this opponent description. Some players there just don't reraise without the stone cold nuts or damn close to it. He DEFINITELY doesn't have 99 or 89 given the action. This is a tough spot, because he's much more likely to have 89s than 45 or 59 usually, but he WAS in the sb in an unraised pot so all three are reasonable.

I'd normally shove but not feel great about it, and the more I play that game, the less I'd like it against lots of opponents. I definitely don't like calling and reevaluating turn, because you have his range pretty much on point already...I suppose you can more eeasily fold if the board pairs, but a straight is so much more likely here that I don't see the point in calling and then maybe folding turn...trust your read on the player and make your decision on the flop.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Given your image why can't this be 87 or 86? I push; hey we have a backdoor flush draw if he has the nuts and there is a great chance he has 66,77,88 or the lower straight.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 PM

FGators, the players at this game are almost never perceptive enough to make a play here with that much less for all their chips due to OP's image...they're thinking, "I can't wait 'til I have the nuts to bust this chump," not "I can shove 200+ BB's with much less here!"
Old 05-30-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FGators, the players at this game are almost never perceptive enough to make a play here with that much less for all their chips due to OP's image...they're thinking, "I can't wait 'til I have the nuts to bust this chump," not "I can shove 200+ BB's with much less here!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand its live play and everything but why wouldn't villain feel confident with top set here?