Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 05-11-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Do people have the moral obligation to tell people how to eat?

It's accepted that if someone smokes, or drinks to much that it's ok to call someone out and tell them that they're killing themself by doing so. I've wondered for a long time why it's not actualy PC to tell someone that they're eating themself to death. I'm curious why in my mind it's ok to hate on a smoker, or a heavy drinker, but it's not OK to tell someone who eats trash every day that they're doing harm to their body.

Why is it that if you try and tell someone you know that they're eating like crap, and will eventualy eat themself into diabetes/death that you are an a'hole, but it's ok to tell people other things they are doing to harm their health?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Do people have the moral obligation to tell people how to eat?

[ QUOTE ]
It's accepted that if someone smokes, or drinks to much that it's ok to call someone out and tell them that they're killing themself by doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't want to hear that [censored].
Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 AM

I thought you were an ahole if you told random friends any of those things unless it's a straight up intervention. I always assume that they already know they're killing themselves and there's not much my nagging will help.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 AM

I wish people felt the moral obligation to keep their opinions to themselves honestly. If I want to do something that hurts only myself and nobody else, wtf business is it of yours (or anyone's in general)?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:57 AM

because heavy drinkers and smokers are in the minority. Here in the good ole US of A, most people eat crap or are fat and its only socially acceptable to point out the flaws of people who don't fall in the norm.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:59 AM

If the person is family or a friend that is close to you, and the person's habit is getting extreme, then you can and perhaps should bring up the subject that what they're doing (eating bad food, smoking lots, drinking lots, drugs, etc) is of concern.

If the person is just an acquaintance or less, mind your f-ing business.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish people felt the moral obligation to keep their opinions to themselves honestly. If I want to do something that hurts only myself and nobody else, wtf business is it of yours (or anyone's in general)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because smokers never make me cough by blowing [censored] in my face and we all know drunk drivers never hurt anyone.

SpaceAce
Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because heavy drinkers and smokers are in the minority. Here in the good ole US of A, most people eat crap or are fat and its only socially acceptable to point out the flaws of people who don't fall in the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, here's another interpretation: no matter what I eat, your risk of a heart attack doesn't go up.

SpaceAce
Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 AM

I'm sitting here agreeing with all of you who say people should mind their own business. I'm just curious though, because I think most of us would agree that if we had good friends who were actualy falling WAY into drugs/alcohol that we'd try and tell them to stop or get them away from it. I think this happens less often with people who are hurting themselves in other ways though.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because smokers never make me cough by blowing [censored] in my face and we all know drunk drivers never hurt anyone.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

And people with crying babies in movie theaters bother me. I cough when people in SUV's drive by and the exhaust goes in my face. In fact people shouldn't be allowed to wear perfume either, since it bothers my sinuses. Also, I'm allergic to pets so nobody ought to be allowed to own pets.

Stop being a nit.