View Poll Results: Weekly average
Never. Not even occasionally 15 3.13%
1-3 times 121 25.21%
4-8 times 214 44.58%
8-15 times 100 20.83%
More than 15 times 30 6.25%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Poll: Should US leagues use a European league system?

I don't think that it's too late to change one particular US sports league, MLS, the obvious one, to a promotion/relegation system (in fact, I think it would probably improve the league's quality in the long run), but much as I'd like to see it in other sports here it wouldn't work with any other US sport. There is less of a gap in talent between the MLS and the top US minor league, the A-League, than there is in any other US sport....A-League teams regularly (OK, more like occasionally) defeat MLS teams in competitions like the US Open Cup (the rough US equivalent to the English FA Cup). My basic point is that a good A-League team like the Rochester Rhinos, for example, could be promoted to the MLS and not get embarrassed, whereas in any other sport the best minor league team would get slaughtered by the worst major league team's scrubs. It would also be easier to do it in MLS since it's a relatively new league that has really not yet become entrenched in American sporting culture, and you wouldn't be breaking up a lot of long-time historical rivalries between teams as of yet.

So my answer would be, in MLS, yes, do it now, should've done it years ago and you still have the opportunity. In other sports, regrettably, no.

--Scott
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM

There seems to be a lot of objection based on the gap between the majors and the minors in the U.S. In theory, they could just chop the majors in half and have a 15 team premier league and a 15 team division 2. Well, I guess it would have to be 16/14 for scheduling since MLB plays almost every day.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Why would the teams that would be demoted ever agree to such things. They would lose money, it just doesn't make any viable sense.

Teams are so valuable as it is, I don't think the rich owners would want to give up any wealth for the "betterment" of entertainment. It's not like Baseball, Football or Basketball are actually struggling. I guess they could do this with a struggling league but it makes no sense right now.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would the teams that would be demoted ever agree to such things. They would lose money, it just doesn't make any viable sense.

Teams are so valuable as it is, I don't think the rich owners would want to give up any wealth for the "betterment" of entertainment. It's not like Baseball, Football or Basketball are actually struggling. I guess they could do this with a struggling league but it makes no sense right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree. I didn't mean to say it was a good idea. I only meant that the idea that the minors weren't good enough to be the "B" league wasn't necessarily an obstacle, since the majors could be carved up.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be a lot of objection based on the gap between the majors and the minors in the U.S. In theory, they could just chop the majors in half and have a 15 team premier league and a 15 team division 2. Well, I guess it would have to be 16/14 for scheduling since MLB plays almost every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

travel is a huge issue here. i haven't looked at the standings but let's say that division 2 was KC, colorado, cincy, washington, seattle, texas, tampa, florida, baltimore, chicago (cubs) - well, you get the idea. these teams are all over the US. i suppose they could reorganize into divisions.

still it'll never happen - except that it's already happened since the AL is so much better.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Guys, forget about the relagation system. I would be in favor of anything that puts more emphasis on regular season games, and effectively ends the gambit known as the playoffs for deciding champions.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, forget about the relagation system. I would be in favor of anything that puts more emphasis on regular season games, and effectively ends the gambit known as the playoffs for deciding champions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought OP would be about - having a league championship in MLB & NBA.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:50 AM

If it is possible for the format of the sport to have a balanced schedule I support it.

I don't think eliminating the playoffs is necessary. Its up to the fans to place the proper emphasis on the regular seasons while treating playoffs as a sort of Champions League.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM

TSC,

I think your NFL idea of getting rid of the playoffs and including a 'Champions League' would work MUCH better in the MLB. Consider:

1. The problem of playing extra games doesn't matter as much for MLB teams.
2. The MLB playoffs are an enormous crapshoot (see: 2006 Cardinals). There is less variance in football.
3. Travel isn't much of an issue because each league is already coast to coast.

If you eliminate the MLB playoffs, it would be easy to stretch the 162 game season into October and include a 'Champions League' for the top 16 teams or whatever from the previous year in the extra days. The non-CL teams would get some extra rest, which is a small advantage, but not nearly the advantage it is in football.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is possible for the format of the sport to have a balanced schedule I support it.

I don't think eliminating the playoffs is necessary. Its up to the fans to place the proper emphasis on the regular seasons while treating playoffs as a sort of Champions League.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Playoffs are exciting, even if they don't always crown the best team. If you're so hell bent on identifying the best team, feel free to continue thinking that about whoever has the best record in the regular season. The only reason a Champions league type deal makes sense is if there are multiple leagues that don't play each other, like all of the national European soccer leagues. That's a good way to pit teams together who otherwise wouldn't play. I see no logic in making a giant 16 team playoff based on last year's league finish when these teams are already playing one another in the regular season. Keep the playoffs, enjoy the excitement, and tell anyone who will listen that the Cardinals just got hot last year and really weren't that good.