Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Default \"Show one, show all\" in the middle of the hand.

The game is a pretty wild 1/2 NLHE at Harrah's NO. I'm in the 8 seat with a novice player in the 7 seat. The 3 seat is showing the 2 seat his cards often before mucking.

The 3, 5, and 7 seat are the remaining players in a hand. The 7 seat bets the flop into the 3 seat. The 3 seat picks up his cards and shows them to the 2 seat, but doesn't expose them to anyone still in the hand.

The 7 seat asks to see the 3 seat's hand. Request is denied, the 3 seat eventually mucks, but the 7 seat won't let it go. He doesn't seem to understand that the 3 seat's hand can't be exposed with action pending. The dealer indicates that the cards can't be shown at all.

I thought the cards should be set aside and shown at the end of the hand, since the 7 seat requested they be shown. What's correct here?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: \"Show one, show all\" in the middle of the hand.

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the cards should be set aside and shown at the end of the hand, since the 7 seat requested they be shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the cards should be set aside and shown at the end of the hand, since the 7 seat requested they be shown. What's correct here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct, yet at GReen Valley a few weeks ago, I had a floor rule the other way. I showed one card to a neighbor next to me (i'm in the 1 seat, he's in 2) and the 10 seat, who's not in the hand starts flipping the F out about having to show one and we don't allow cheaters here and yada yada. Dealer calls the floor AFTER mucking my cards (into the muck, not on top) and floor rules for the dealer to show them. Now the dealer doesn't know what 2 cards were mine so they flip the entire muck of 5 hands and asks me which 2 were mine, ROFLMAO.

I said "you've got to be kidding me right?"
Floor says "Sir, show one player show all players".
My response "The player wasn't even in the hand and now you've screwed the integrity of the deck and exposed 10 cards instead of my two which no one that had a live hand would have known to begin with".
Floor: "oh, it doesn't matter, when you show one player you automatically have to show the entire table."

Ok, thanks for missing the ruling completely.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought the cards should be set aside and shown at the end of the hand, since the 7 seat requested they be shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other week one of the floors at the bike (I always forget their names but it was the big guy who works at night - Mike?) ruled the other way at our 5/5 game. These two guys were friends and one kept holding up the game while he would show his friend his cards before mucking. Seat 9 complained to the dealer and asked to see his cards after the hand was over. Floor was called and ruled that the cards didn't have to be shown but warned everyone not to show their cards. I was OK with that ruling but it's interesting to see how a basic concept/rule isn't always enforced consistently.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Some guy tried to pull this same "show-1-show-all-in-the-middle-of-a-hand-move" this weekend, but he was just kidding and the whole table had a good chuckle.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 PM

I've seen this also, but I was actually worried we would lose the 7 seat to this crap. I don't like losing a player who "sorta-kinda but not really" knows the rules to some other player who is actually breaking the letter of the rules and being an ass about it.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 AM

In a game at MGM probably over a year ago we had a player show his cards to an all-in player, then fold. The third player in the hand who hasn't acted on the all-in yet yells that he wants to see the cards. The player who is all-in protests. Dealer says "tough--show one show all is the rule". He protests further. She repeats "it's the rule" and I jump in and explain why it doesn't apply in this case--the other guy would get information the all-in fellow didn't have at the time he acted. She says we're wrong. She's asked to call the floor. She says "we don't need the floor, show one show all is a rule" and flips over the cards. She's lucky I wasn't the all-in guy who had his request for the floor staunchly refused. I haven't been that annoyed with a dealer since then, I don't think, and I wasn't even in the hand. You simply do not, as a dealer, get to say "we don't need the floor".

I took a walk and on the trip back found a floor and asked what he woulda done. He woulda done the right thing...set the cards aside, let the 3rd player call or fold, then show the exposed cards. He agreed SWSA is a rule, but understood that its application in that circumstance would be unfair to the all-in player.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The other week one of the floors at the bike (I always forget their names but it was the big guy who works at night - Mike?) ruled the other way at our 5/5 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's Mike. Pretty good floor, seems to know how to keep the peace.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM

In cases where the player to whom the cards were shown is not in the hand, the correct procedure would be to set the cards aside and show them at the end of the hand, as the OP said.

But in the case described by the OP, seat 4 had the unfair advantage of seeing seat 3's cards while he (seat 4) still had a hand. If seat 4 were to continue with the hand, he would have knowledge (of seat 3's cards) that seat 7 would not have.

In this case, the correct decision would be to show seat 3's cards to seat 7.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your posts. This is an issue I've also wondered about. It happens all the time, and I usually don't ever want to point it out. However, I know there's going to be a time with some particular opponent where it would be beneficial to see the cards.