Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Default bottom two against rocky

rocky's a bellagio regular who has very recently moved to oceans 11, some of you know him. i got in this spot against him a couple hours ago in a decent 4-5 handed 40 game. we were 3 handed when this hand went down.

rocky openraised on the button, i called in the bb w/ Jd9d.

the flop came QcJc9h. i checkraised, he 3 bet, and i called.

the turn was the Ac. i bet, he sort of sighed and was noticeably distraught but not in the fake acting tell sort of way but in a way that i read as genuine given ways he as been acting at the table and in hands previously. he called.

the river was the 7h. i check, he bets, i ...?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: bottom two against rocky

Call. You can't fold bottom two here given odds, though it feels like he has a bigger two pair than you or a set, and raising isn't really an option, not much out there that you beat that he'd call a raise with.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Why not just bet the river and save yourself this spot?

One answer would be you knew you were beat and planned on folding. But if you're going to call, bet.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM

well, ur turn bet is very strong on this board and it should make him think that u're trying to bet/ 3 bet w/ a flush. So I don't think he will raise most of his range, a good deal of which beats u on that board. On the river, he has to change his range for u and consider that u were taking a donk-fold line on the turn and now he can value bet. I don't think he bets a one pair hand on the river here, b/c i'm not sure that he thinks u will call with worse often and could be getting tricky after missing the turn bet-3-bet.

So i don't think u win this hand much given the action when u call. Maybe u could c/r bluff, but my guess is that u have enough retarded history with each other short-handed that he'll make a wtf call.

I think i would have bet the river b/c u're in much better shape when u put the bet in than when u have to call.

But in the end, i probably would convince myself that he has AxTc and call.

BTW, for those that don't know rocky, can u describe him. IIRC from a post of urs a while back, he was over aggro, but a reasonable hand reader.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Call the river, yo. You flopped 2 pair heads up in a 3-handed game. Your line from the flop on should involve anything except folding. Ever. And the river seems closer to a checkraise than a check-fold. But I wouldn't checkraise it. I'd just bet it out or check-call.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM

Hey all first post. I agree the river is more of a bet here than c/c, but certainly if we get raised we are cooked, right?

Is this a bet/fold on the river?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet, he sort of sighed and was noticeably distraught but not in the fake acting tell sort of way but in a way that i read as genuine given ways he as been acting at the table and in hands previously. he called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he distraught enough where he might fold to a river checkraise?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM

was this a check intending to fold? i don't see why else you would check in this spot...

if i was that confident in that read i would fold... but in a lazy sort of way i would tell myself i have two pair in a blind steal situation... i'm gonna bet and use that read to fold to a potential river raise...

i would hope to get paid off by some A/Q, KK one pair type of hands by betting when they would check behind a good deal... sometimes that reaction could mean, a good flop hand meets the worst turn card you could hope for but i'm forced to at least see the river... and if it's shorthanded why wouldn't they see a showdown with a ton of hands here?

unless i'm way off here cause i don't know this guy...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Argh, cry call.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM

well mike I have to admit I pretty much never understand what you're after when you post. and I don't know this guy at all and apparently you do.

I'm like others that don't understand the point of checking the river if you're going to call. your read of him on the turn is that he clearly has a made hand - no reason to think he's going to bluff at this board. but this could easily be a queen or jack or something like TT. His disdain for the river doesn't have to be for the flush it could just be for the ace. I think if you're planning on putting one bet in you should have been the one to put it in -- the river is a total blank.

but maybe you are considering a value bluff check raise? is he actually capable of folding queens up here?
Closed Thread