Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

Nowhere did I state the series will be a piece of cake. Stating the Sharks will win in 5 or 6 doesn't mean the series was easy. A series can be decided in 4 games and still be close.

Forwards are close, Nashville might have better depth but San Jose's very top-heavy and has a quality defensively responsible line. The size is also a HUGE advantage for the Sharks. Timmonen and Zidlicky are going to be having trouble the whole series.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nashville is deeper at forward than San Jose - and San Jose's forwards aren't exactly experienced either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it is pretty close... especially since Sullivan won't be ready for the start of the series. Erat possibly coming back for game one is def. good for them.

The Sharks picking up Guerin at the deadline is big, and he is starting to gel. No doubt Forsberg is a beast, but he must get help from his line-mates and not be forced to carry he entire load.

While San Jose's D is young, they are still very good. Vlasic and Carle have been strong all year and continue to emerge.

Nashville MUST stay out of penalty trouble or it is over. San Jose is bigger and faster and will use that to their advantage forcing Nashville to keep the puck out of their defensive end.

While Nabby may not be Roy, he has been playing Roy-like lately and goes into the playoffs looking very sharp.

Nabby's last 15 games :
11-0-3
1.73 GA
93.5 SV%

But if Nabby does faulter, Vesa will come in as Wilson has shown his short-leash in the past and shows no favorites.

If Vokoun turtles up like he sometimes does, Nashville will have no choice but to stick w/ him.

On top of that Jonathan Cheechoo is absolutely white hot right now!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
BUF &gt; NYI in 4
NJ &gt; TB in 5 BUF &gt; OTT in 5
ATL &gt; NYR in 5 NJ &gt; ATL in 5 BUF &gt; NJ in 6
OTT &gt; PIT in 6
SJS &gt; BUF in 6
CAL &gt; DET in 6
ANA &gt; MIN in 4 ANA &gt; CAL in 5 SJS &gt; ANA in 6
VAN &gt; DAL in 5 SJS &gt; VAN in 6
SJS &gt; NSH in 6
</pre><hr />

<u>FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS</u>
BUFFALO vs NEW YORK ISLANDERS
I think this will be an easy sweep. The Sabres just dominates every aspect of the game. Since the Islanders won't be able to stop the Sabre's offense and definitely can't match it, expect really lop-sided scores after every game.
<u>X-factor:</u> DiPietro. If the Islanders hope to win, he will have to stand on his head to save the team.

NEW JERSEY vs TAMPA BAY
A classic match-up of pure defense vs pure offense. I don't think the Lightning will be able to overcome Brodeur. TB's D isn't exactly strong and the Devil's top lines should be able to get a few past rookie goaltender Holmqvist. A few goals is all the Devils will need. I expect mostly 2-1 games and a few going to OT in this series. It's going to be a lot closer than the "Win in 5" suggests.
<u>X-factor:</u> Devil's offense. If Gomez and Elias can't score, the Devils won't win. You can only keep the offensive juggernauts on the Lighting off the scorecard for so long.

ATLANTA vs NEW YORK RANGERS
I'm not seeing either of these teams going deep in this year's playoffs. They resemble each other a lot and are almost evenly matched. This game will come down to which team dictates the play. If the Rangers allow the game to open up and begin to play sloppy on D, then the Thrashers will make quick work of the Blueshirts. For the Rangers to move on, they will need to keep the game slow and play SOLID on defense.
<u>X-factor:</u> Jaromir Jagr. If he doesn't produce big points, I don't see the Rangers winning more than a game. I have a feeling he will either dominate or be VERY quiet.

OTTAWA vs PITTSBURGH
This will EASILY be the most exciting series to watch! Two fast-paced, high-scoring teams (both in top 4 of goals/game) going at it. The series can come down to which goalie plays better, but I believe the Senators will move on. The Senators D is much better and the team has more experience. The Sens are 4th in shots/game while the Penguins are in the bottom third of shots against. The Pens D will have a hard time stopping Heatley, Spezza, and Alfredsson.
<u>X-factor:</u> Special Teams. The teams are reciprocals of each other when it comes to PP/PK. Both teams need to focus on staying out of the sin bin... and this can be a more difficult challenge to the young Penguin team.

DETROIT vs CALGARY
Deja vu for the Red Wings? I think this will be the closest series in the West and will result in the #1 seeded Detroit being bounced early once again. While the Flames haven't been so hot recently, the physical play should wear down the Wings. The goaltenders for both teams will play great and the shallow offense of both teams will struggle.
<u>X-factor:</u> Todd Bertuzzi. If he can contribute offensively and throw his weight back at the Flames, the Wings will fly forward.

ANAHEIM vs MINNESOTA
The Ducks finished their stellar season seizing the Pacific Division title, the first team other than the Sharks and Stars to do so. They have offense, speed, size, and of course the two best defensemen in the world. The Wild feature a stingy defensive system and Slovakians. However, the Ducks D &amp; goaltending should be able to stop the shallow scoring depth on the Wild. The Ducks offensive size and speed will be too much for the Wild to handle. The Wild will be forced to open up the game if they fall behind early... which plays right into the strength of the Ducks.
<u>X-factor:</u> Backstrom/Fernandez. Although I really can't see the Wild pulling out 4 wins, if they do it then it's because of one of these goaltenders. If things don't go well in the first game, Ferndandez will be thrown in net and prove that he should stay.

VANCOUVER vs DALLAS
This will be the lowest scoring first-round series. Both teams have great goaltending, although question marks always surround Turco in the playoffs. The Canucks will spend most of the games cycling in the Stars' zone.
<u>X-factor:</u> Sergei Zubov. If the Stars hope to move on they have to get by Luongo first. To do that, the weak Stars offense will need to score on their powerplays vs the number 1 penalty killers in the league. Zubov will be the key to the Stars' powerplay.

SAN JOSE vs NASHVILLE
Offense:
SJ &gt; NSH Not in depth, but in quality.
Defense:
SJ &gt; NSH
The Shark's defense is much more experienced than the Predators'. Zidlicky and Timmonen will have too much trouble defending against giants.
Goaltending:
Even
Nabokov has been stellar while Vokoun has been shaky. However, this can easily swap... as we've seen Nabokov at his worst last season and we all know how great Vokoun can be.
<u>X-factor:</u> Forsberg. It's up to him and Vokoun.

Now feel free to rip me a new one.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:57 PM

A bunch of people have predicted Anaheim over Minnesota in 4 or 5 games.

I don't know what NHL you guys are watching, this should be a great series. The Wild are a completely different team with Gaborik back and with Backstrom/Harding in place of Fernandez. Don't let the seedings fool you.

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14
Wild without Gaborik- 15-20
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM

No doubt Gaborik changes the face of the team... but defensively Anahiem is pretty rock solid, and JSG has shown he can man it between the pipes. I think it will definetly be tight, but Anahiem is so well rounded. I doubt anyone will agree with me, I think most people will probably lean towards Buffalo being the favourite and Nashville as well, but I think Anahiem's got the best chance to win. In a 7 game stint, I think they're the strongest.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what NHL you guys are watching, this should be a great series. The Wild are a completely different team with Gaborik back and with Backstrom/Harding in place of Fernandez. Don't let the seedings fool you.

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14

[/ QUOTE ]

Gaborik is just one man. One man that will face Nieds or Pronger the ENTIRE game.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14

[/ QUOTE ]

Gaborik is just one man. One man that will face Nieds or Pronger the ENTIRE game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, he never faces the opposing team's top D in the regular season.

I think the Wild are going to win, but I can understand the POV of those who think the Ducks will win.

What I can't understand is anyone who thinks this series will be a walk for the Ducks.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, he never faces the opposing team's top D in the regular season.

I think the Wild are going to win, but I can understand the POV of those who think the Ducks will win.

What I can't understand is anyone who thinks this series will be a walk for the Ducks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how everyone gets butt-hurt if someone predicts a team to lose. It's not like the Ducks are going to have 4 skaters out on the ice the entire game and win 6-0. Every playoff game IS tough and will be hard fought.

I'd like to see more people put up some brackets... let's see who gets the most correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Okay, here goes:

1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders -- Buffalo in 4
2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay -- NJ in 5
3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers -- NYR in 6
4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh -- Ottawa in 6

WEST

1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary Detroit in 6
2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota Anaheim in 7
3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas Vancouver in 7
4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose SJ in 6