Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: 30-60 hand against top poster

this cant really be discussed thoroughly on here. with this sort of action in this sort of hand between dd and i, one of us could have Q high and the other J high and one of us could bet the river FOR VALUE and the other person would autocall. does that help?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:39 AM

I'm going to present very different thoughts from what I've read so far. I'm looking to learn and I welcome criticism if nobody likes this:

Why not play some poker w/ hero's hand? I don't know this Justin A fellow but what does he raise with from the SB against a player who has a weak/tight image that raises from UTG+1? SB's either got a big pair or something like AK. Maybe Tens or less but that doesn't feel right. What does it look like to SB when the initial raiser just calls? To me it would look like A-face, a medium pair or AA trying to trap (unless he has the AK himself).

So the SB bets into a flop of AA6. What is hero doing just calling? Hoping that SB has Tens? Looking to hit a 2 outer on the turn? Unless he's planning on raising the turn regardless of what comes he's either guessing he might be best or hoping to hit on the turn. I don't like guessing and I like hoping even worse. Why not play SB for a big pair and raise this flop and confirm SB's fear that UTG+1 has the A-face after all? If he gets re-raised then he's got a decision to make. Was SB testing him w/ his Kings or Queens or does he have an Ace? For me to make that decision I'd like to have played against the SB for a while to know how he plays. If I thought he'd re-raise w/ a big pair to see how I react I'd pop him again. If I get re-raised I fold. If it turned out that I cost myself a few small bets, so what? At least I don't come off like a wet noodle who just calls. That's got to be worth something in the future.

I'd either play it this way or just fold the Jacks. To me calling w/ them seems the worst choice by far.

The turn seems to be confirmation that SB has no Ace and is fearful of getting raised here. How does UTG+1 not bet in this spot?

On the river, once hero played the hand this weakly I can't see him betting at this late stage. He's likely to get called by a better hand or c/r by a weaker one that's decided hero is 'full of it' or is so weak that he'll fold a better one.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this cant really be discussed thoroughly on here. with this sort of action in this sort of hand between dd and i, one of us could have Q high and the other J high and one of us could bet the river FOR VALUE and the other person would autocall. does that help?

[/ QUOTE ]

for those of you who think mike's exaggerating, you might be right, but only by a little bit.

when i play with deathdonkey he'll valuebet ace high to the point that others at the table accuse of us "just passing chips around".

most recently was a hand at 8/16 at ocean's 11 where chris limp reraised an ace from the small blind against my KJ, bet it the whole way, and then on the river thought out loud "will you call with king high? yeah you will" and bet it for value and i paid off like the fish i am. the guy to dd's right, who was trying to convince me that i should be ecstatic about my $600 "double up in an hour" win in that game got extremely pissed and basically accused of us collusion. this was despite the fact that everyone had folded before we even acted preflop.

live poker is fun.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy to dd's right, who was trying to convince me that i should be ecstatic about my $600 "double up in an hour" win in that game got extremely pissed and basically accused of us collusion. this was despite the fact that everyone had folded before we even acted preflop.

live poker is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time I played that game the two guys on my left got into the following conversation:

A: Hey I'm retarded, that's why I played Q5o for a raise and then called the KT3 flop.
B: Yeah me too, my cutoff for off suit Queens is at Q7o, they call that the computer hand.
A: The computer hand, why's that?
B: Because on computers it comes up more often.

Or I raise UTG with 99 bet all the way on J4662 and guy A calls me down all the way with 42o and tells me at showdown while I'm dragging the pot "I put you on a Jack".
Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or I raise UTG with 99 bet all the way on J4662 and guy A calls me down all the way with 42o and tells me at showdown while I'm dragging the pot "I put you on a Jack".

[/ QUOTE ]

I often find comments like this are so common that I find it hard not to get up and hug the lil suckers some time.

However when they call you down with KK v QQ and say "I thought you had aces" I often want to cry, but overall, it's still amazing.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Btw mike i think you got the board wrong. I don't remember the exact order, but the board was double paired aces and eights on the river, and you're right about the two aces on the flop. So it went someting like AA828. This is obviously important.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know that about DD and you; that's why I was telling DD over AIM that I think it helps a bit more if he puts himself in the actual question, where you asked what Hero should do, and now what hero should do if Hero is him.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw mike i think you got the board wrong. I don't remember the exact order, but the board was double paired aces and eights on the river, and you're right about the two aces on the flop. So it went someting like AA828. This is obviously important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that changes things quite a bit. Just checking since mike didn't say: it was 10-handed, right?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM

you might be right justin but i remember it being a 6 and then a 9. i remember the 9 because i was thinking pocket 9s jsut go there. i might be wrong though my eyes are crap.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Results?