Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 02-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Another Workout Thread (5 questions) Help me out

stop derailing this thread
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM

guids,

I will search your threads for any relevant advice. If any of my questions here you have answered in the past I thank you in advance for your help...but like I said I don't feel these questions have been asked/answered, hence the thread.

I'm also not a workout noob but when I lived in Vegas I gained a [censored] of weight. I've lost about 30lbs since moving out of Vegas but am nowhere near where I want to be conditioning wise. I do realize I have a long way to go. Maybe I'm more concerned about dropping lbs than working out correctly right now, thats something I definitely need to look at.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 PM

guid is an ass, but he's right. We have five of these threads every day and guids has posted a lot in the earlier ones. Surf, go read up some basic workout advice, what you're doing is way off.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Surf,

Gassy and bloated, take something like Citrucil (sp?), get more regular. Schedule some time pre-workout, however much you need, to drink a cup of coffee, sit down, and push as hard as you can. As grotesque and basic as that sounds, I'm not kidding, that's what you need to do.

Guido,

Don't be a douche bag. If you think Surf would be better off searching for advice, then there's really no need to include that [censored] response. The fact of the matter is this; no two plans should be the same. Goals are different, bodies are different, results are different. What's not different is your arrogant know-it-all attitude that is presented in every single workout thread that you start or contribute to. If you don't have something productive to say in a thread that is valid and not trollish, it would serve you and the rest of OOT well for you to STFU.

Jihad.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gassy and bloated, take something like Citrucil (sp?), get more regular. Schedule some time pre-workout, however much you need, to drink a cup of coffee, sit down, and push as hard as you can. As grotesque and basic as that sounds, I'm not kidding, that's what you need to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if someone wants to develop hemorrhoids. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if someone wants to develop hemorrhoids. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]meh, when I was working out hard in the mornings, I had this exact problem, and it worked pretty well. I mean, I wasn't pushing the red sock out, just making sure that I was "clear".
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 PM

I have a question I'll tack on here. I started working out again about 2-3 weeks ago. It's been a while and I'm fairly out of shape (too thin, not too fat). I've been taking it easy and just doing a couple sets for each muscle and trying not to train too hard. I'm just trying to get my self in shape so I don't injure myself when I get more serious later. At this stage, do I really need to be eating a bunch of extra protein?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 PM

can i please throw in a random question... for squats i can do like 3 sets of 13 reps with 115 pounds, today i did the same but on a machine/rack 135 pounds. thoughts on using the rack for squats (and also bench presses) vs. no machine... and the question i care more about is

should i be doing like 4 or 5 sets since I have done squats and leg stuff for a while, just not with weights and my legs dont even feel sore or tired after workout. or just up the weight a lot so i have to struggle to do 3 sets of 10. so this is a question on quantity of reps vs. weight? i'm a newbie at the gym. help please.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question I'll tack on here. I started working out again about 2-3 weeks ago. It's been a while and I'm fairly out of shape (too thin, not too fat). I've been taking it easy and just doing a couple sets for each muscle and trying not to train too hard. I'm just trying to get my self in shape so I don't injure myself when I get more serious later. At this stage, do I really need to be eating a bunch of extra protein?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good approach. Usually I won't ramp up the intensity until the 3rd week or so because, to be honest, 1 or 2 sets (including warmup sets) is usually enough to get you nice and sore for the next couple days.

But yes, try to get more protein intake. It helps with recovery and it'll help with strength gains. If you haven't altered your diet yet, just try to cut back on some refined carbs (sugars, high fructose corn syrup) and add more meat. Milk is probably the easiest way to do this without going the protein powder route, if you can tolerate the lactose. The next step would be to alter your diet a bit more radically, which might involve supplements (and definitely at the very least a post-workout protein shake).
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can i please throw in a random question... for squats i can do like 3 sets of 13 reps with 115 pounds, today i did the same but on a machine/rack 135 pounds. thoughts on using the rack for squats (and also bench presses) vs. no machine... and the question i care more about is

should i be doing like 4 or 5 sets since I have done squats and leg stuff for a while, just not with weights and my legs dont even feel sore or tired after workout. or just up the weight a lot so i have to struggle to do 3 sets of 10. so this is a question on quantity of reps vs. weight? i'm a newbie at the gym. help please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brooser,

You need to think about what your fitness goal is when you're weighing the issue of reps vs weight. Do you want to gain strength and mass? Focus on mass only? Endurance and lactic acid tolerance?

A lower rep count (and heavier the weight) will focus more on strength gains with the benefit of increased muscle mass. This is the 4-6 rep range. A higher rep count (10-15) will focus more on sheer muscle gain, and there should be some strength increases with this approach as well. Going to the 20 rep range will really test your endurance and improve your muscular lactic acid tolerance, perfect for endurance reasons.

3 sets is more than enough for you at this point, but only if these are your "working sets", aka the non-warmup sets. You should be warming up with 3-4 warmup sets btw. One or two with the empty bar, 1 with more weight, etc. As long as the warmup sets do not interfere with your working set, you are gold.

BTW if this is sounds a bit like rambling, I'm sorry. I drank too much scotch too quickly after work.

Also, dude, you need to get off of the machines! Really now. Give it a shot with some lighter weights over a couple of weeks, and make sure you're doing it with good form. There are some good videos on youtube of people squatting with good form.

I guarantee that the day after a good workout with deep, ass to ground squats will cause you to hurt in places you didn't know existed.