Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Default raising a bunch of limpers??

how do people find this works these days? thinking more in MTT and SNG's with moderate stacks... do you find it works? or do you find too often one of the first two limpers is just looking to reraise? i.e. too many people limp to reraise??

not really beginners questions, but i thought i'd put it here as it's conceptual in nature, something beginners probably wonder about and if i post on STT or MTT forum they seem to always want a hand posted. don't seem to like concept posts.

thanks in advance!!! i'd got away from doing this, started doing it a bit more again and it's working. finding it's mostly that first limper you need to worry about (of course, the reward isn't that great either, and if you do it from one of the blinds and get caller(s), now you're out of position.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: raising a bunch of limpers??

Hey,

I like theoretical concepts with no hand posts, mainly because I throw those on here as well! I play micro stakes (SnG's at $6, full ring cash games at uNL10), so I can't really comment on MTTs/higher stakes.

I only ever really worry about the first two limpers having strong hands. By the time the third limper rolls around, you know s/he's not likely to be peddling the nuts or s/he would have already popped a raise - at this point they (I'm assuming the "they" are not complete morons) realize that limping will encourage weak hands to enter (since they're being priced in), thus reducing the chances of their strong hand holding up post flop.

So if I have a strong hand (relative to position), and no one has shown any strength, I'm raising regardless of limpers. The only adjustment I tend to make is the amount of the raise propotional to the # of calls. So if two players have limped in before me, I'm more likely to open for 5xbb vs. a standard 3xbb.

If one of the first two callers then re-raises, I would let the strength of my hand/knowledge of opponent determine my play. If they are a nit, calling with anything less than AQs is usually suicide, and if they are pretty aggressive, I would contemplate seeing the board with AJs.

Again though, this is micro stakes (at Party). You will get re-raised with some "interesting" hands even from EP. So I find that betting my stronger holdings against limpers is frequently profitable.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:12 PM

I remember a WPT episode in which Dewey Tomko was in the Big Blind at a full table. I can't remember the other players, except for Gus Hansen.

Almost everybody was limping, so (as you said) the late players had great odds. It got to Dewey. I don't remember his hand, but it was something like 64o. He made a large raise, and every single player folded to him. Of course, his reputation as a tight player helped him to pull this off.

I remember thinking that this would be a hand none of the players except Dewey would remember. They limped and folded to a big raise. I imagine they each got a laugh when they saw it on tv.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM

mike, thanks... i was actually thinking the late limpers have limpers already for their raise. i think we may be just describing it different. yes, they would be playing all kinds of non-power hands as they have excellent odds.

thanks again for the good response!!! BTW, harrington i think talks about coming over the top of reraisers pre-flop i think with air/nothing (basically the raise and reraise were from late position). i can't imagine that working at lower $$$$ levels
Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM

I really like the theoretical questions best, too.

Agreed that some of this stuff will not work at the lower levels. But that is part of learning at the lower levels and figuring out what will work and what won't.