Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Over/Under 18.5 Democratic pickups on Nov.7th?
Under 2 16.67%
Over 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: *** Official NY Mets Our OFFSEASON Has Come Thread ***

wow guys, this is horrific. nothing much to say. my condolences, even though i laughed my ass off when i saw this deal.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Minaya started off well for the Mets but has really fizzled since then.

Trading away Milledge was stupid. Our prospects were likely our best chance at getting Johan Santana. Now Milledge is traded for two people whose names I never heard of.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

I'll try and give Omar the benefit of the doubt for a second.

Presumably, Milledge has already been shopped all over the place. So, Omar may well know that Milledge has little value in the eyes of other teams (at least those with pitching).

Further, it is not hard to imagine that Milledge might qualify as one of those clubhouse cancer types.

Indeed, many of the trade rumors for the bigger names seem to focus on Carlos Gomez instead of Milledge.

Finally, I hear from a well-placed Nats fan (i.e., someone I just met 10 minutes ago) that Schneider really is quite good defensively, and not as bad as people think offensively.

There, that's my attempt to give Omar the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

According to Metsblog, Jason Stark (fwiw) says the following:

“The Mets have been looking for a defensive-minded catcher who could lead a staff, and Brian Schneider does that as well as anyone. And Ryan Church is a better player than you’re giving him credit for. He’s better than a fourth outfielder, even though he might be more a 5-day-a-week kind of player than a 7-day -a-week kind of player. And Milledge, frankly, turned out to be overrated. HIs value had plummeted. For a team trying to win in the short term, like the Mets, I totally understand this trade, Now let’s sit back and see how good Milledge turns out to be.”
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Grade Minaya's major trades since becoming GM after the 2004 season:

1. 11/18/2005 Acquired INF/OF Xavier Nady from the San Diego Padres in exchange for OF Mike Cameron.

2. 11/24/2005 Obtained 1B Carlos Delgado and cash from the Marlins for 1B Mike Jacobs, RHP Yusmeiro Petit and INF Grant Psomas.

3. 12/5/2005 Acquired C Paul Lo Duca from the Marlins for two players to be named (Dante Brinkley & Gaby Hernandez).

4. 1/4/2006 Acquired RHP Duaner Sanchez and RHP Steve Schmoll from the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Jae Seo and LHP Tim Hamulack.

5. 1/21/2006 Acquired RHP Jorge Julio and RHP John Maine from the Orioles in exchange for RHP Kris Benson.

6. 5/24/2006 Acquired RHP Orlando Hernandez from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for RHP Jorge Julio.

7. 7/31/2006 Acquired RHP Roberto Hernandez and LHP Oliver Perez from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for OF Xavier Nady.

8. 11/15/2006 Acquired OF Ben Johnson and RHP Jon Adkins from the San Diego Padres in exchange for RHP Heath Bell and LHP Royce Ring.

9. 11/20/2006 Acquired LHP Jason Vargas and LHP Adam Bostick from the Florida Marlins in exchange for RHP Henry Owens and RHP Matt Lindstrom.

10. 12/6/2006 Acquired RHP Ambiorix Burgos in exchange for RHP Brian Bannister from the Kansas City Royals.

11. 7/30/2007 Acquired 2B Luis Castillo from the Twins in exchange for nonroster C Drew Butera and nonroster OF Dustin Martin.

12. 11/20/2007 Acquired C Johnny Estrada from the Brewers in exchange for RHP Guillermo Mota.

13. 11/30/2007 Acquired RF Ryan Church and C Brian Schneider from the Washington Nationals in exchange for Lastings Milledge.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Wow, I didn't know Church wasn't a FA until 2012. That makes the deal a lot better. I like Church a lot. In terms of production he's good, I just didn't think he'd be cheap for that long. Seems like he's been around forever.

I like the deal more now. Good for both sides.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Wynton,

I can agree with both your posts. I don't think the trade is completely indefensible. Schneider and Church are alright ballplayers; I just don't see that it makes the team better to the point that it justifies trading away a supposed chip.

And like you, part of me has to give some shred of benefit of the doubt. A man who has attained a MLB GM position has made a trade that 99% of the reaction is going to be "LOLOLOL..hahahaha...my god how horrible", so I feel like there has to be some justification. It could be that is the best that L Millz would fetch. (Of course, if that were the case, I'd just hold on to him). Maybe it's a precursor to something else.

BTW, Omar on the FAN at 4:05 today.

[ QUOTE ]
According to Metsblog, Jason Stark (fwiw) says the following:

“The Mets have been looking for a defensive-minded catcher who could lead a staff, and Brian Schneider does that as well as anyone. And Ryan Church is a better player than you’re giving him credit for. He’s better than a fourth outfielder, even though he might be more a 5-day-a-week kind of player than a 7-day -a-week kind of player. And Milledge, frankly, turned out to be overrated. HIs value had plummeted. For a team trying to win in the short term, like the Mets, I totally understand this trade, Now let’s sit back and see how good Milledge turns out to be.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Milledge is already as good as Ryan Church. That is the problem.

They just signed one catcher who is a much better hitter than Schneider. Then they traded for another who's probably as good a hitter.

There's no way to slice this one into being a good trade - it isn't.

what the [censored]

i am speechless

fnasfdniosfdanioasfdniodi