Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Countries where under 21\'s can hire a car?

I want to go on a road trip next year abroad, but, can't for the life of me find somewhere suitable that allows under 21 year olds to hire a car. Ideally, I want to drive accross the US, but, again you have to be over 21. I read there is some sneaky way you can get round this by insuring it to a over 21 year old and claiming they're the passenger but that doesnt sound promising.

I have a Valid UK driving license and hoping to find any country that allows under 21 yo's to hire cards.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Countries where under 21\'s can hire a car?

I found a company in Africa that lets you drive if you're under 21. http://www.driveafrica.co.za/car-rental/under-21.html

Also a forum for travel deals has special sneaky codes to try using if you are under 25 and even under 21. The only sticking point might be the fact you aren't from the US and I think the codes are mostly for use with university and college students. For instance on Thrifty's site they say: "Thrifty Car Rental will rent to government renters under the age of 21 who are on official business." The forum is here http://www.fatwallet.com/t/63/521905/

Basically the bottom line is that most companies will charge extra but that usually applies to people 21-25, it's hard to find many that rent to under 21. This company in LA does that: http://www.bnm.com/atwestla.htm

At your age and if you plan on travelling a place for a long time, you might want to consider buying a vehicle. In anycase, you'll need an international driving permit. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips...g_licence.html
Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This company in LA does that: http://www.bnm.com/atwestla.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Will try again later, but if they do hire to under 21's thats awesome, thanks! im pretty sure i dont need an international drivers licence just to hire a car?

edit; on it now. "All drivers must be 21 and over. There will be daily extra surcharges for all drivers under the age of 25." This seems weird. Sounds like they dont let 18 yo's hire but alow 21yo's if paying extra surcharge. Also, would the care hire allow out of state travel?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:21 PM

I found a website called Ariana Rent a Car in LA that claim to rent to 18+, have emailed them, so hopefully they do it. I can definetly see myself doing such a trip.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 PM

Do you have insurance yourself? You may have to pay some crazy extra insurance stuff at the rental site.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Thailand/Laos don't really care if you even have a license. This is assuming you don't want to rent a new BMW 7 series or sports car.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM

When i went to Cali, I picked up in LA and dropped off in San Fran, rented a car when I was 20. There was supposed to be like a $50/day fee, but i never paid that.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When i went to Cali, I picked up in LA and dropped off in San Fran, rented a car when I was 20. There was supposed to be like a $50/day fee, but i never paid that.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I saw an article on the LA > SF road trip. Did you do it specifically for the beauty of the route or just to get from A to B? Im seriously considering doing the Route 66 track (whats left of it).
Old 11-24-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I saw an article on the LA > SF road trip. Did you do it specifically for the beauty of the route or just to get from A to B? Im seriously considering doing the Route 66 track (whats left of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

We planned our trip so that we flew into SoCal and flew home from San Fran and spent a few days in each. We did take the Pacific Coast Highway the entire way and it was awesome. It obviously takes like double the driving time, but it is well worth it. Stopping in Carmel and Monterey, etc. was really fun.