Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: 10/20 hu hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fox,

mmm... ducks play is standard HU play. i think most HU players would agree on that...

[/ QUOTE ]

except for that both EC10 and I play primarily HU and disagree, as does Pasterbator who plays a lot of HU (I think) and the only HU player who likes this is sponger but he admits he's never tried it before so doubt it's his standard. plus lots of other good players don't like the play.

sorry for the bump but i'm drunk and this condescending comment with no explanation other than appeal to some imaginary authority tilted me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sry for sounding condescending. You never gets a worse hand to call you with a smaller raise so all that remains is to push a split off. Even if you dont succed with that a push has other benefits. Such as getting paid off when you do have FH and those times he folds you keep the river aggression factor up.

I really do believe that this is standard HU play and still think that most HU players would agree on his. At least for 25-50 and up.

But it probably wasnt as standard as i first thought so i take back half of that standardness
Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 10/20 hu hand

my thoughts:

a) It's bad in a vacuum...

but

b) ... we are not in a vacuum, we're playing a HU match which can go on for a while. I do agree with duck that I would not be too worried about being beat on the river so the immideate benefit is getting another T to fold, which it definitely will some % of the time, though probably not that much. But I really like the metagame aspect of this play because knowing that this is the sort of [censored] he'll have to deal with, opponent will become a lot more hesitant to try for thin v-bets and should become more passive in general, which can easily make a major difference as the match progresses. It seems that this aspect is being by and large overlooked, and it's an important one.

Kirk