Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Cool USA Today Presidential match game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF is up with Ron Paul opinion on immigrants?

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not a libertarian on that issue. He thinks it the proper province of the federal government to control the border.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually his thoughts on the issue are strongly Libertarian, just not Anarchist . If you eliminate the welfare incentives and fairly enforce reasonable laws, then negative externalities of immigration disappear
Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul doesn't want the government to decide marriages. He said this at the Value Voters debate that he wants government out of marriage and thinks it should be a church function. Abortion was pretty well covered by theseus. He doesn't want the federal government involved in abortions, but the states should be able to regulate it. He's a big Constitutionalist and defender of the 10th Amendment so that's why he thinks state government have that right. And that's consistent with basically all of his other views. It's not hypocritical at all and I don't see what his believing in God has anything to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the USA today quiz, he says same-sex marriages shouldn't be allowed... and if he really wants it to be a church function- how is that NOT related to God? (Even though I never said it was.)

No one is saying abortions should be legal 1 second before birth, that's absurd.

Ron Paul is still awesome, but I think he'd be perfect if he'd change his Global Warming position (I don't trust the free market in that regard, maybe I'm wrong though) and immigration stance (not sure what to)
Old 09-29-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and if he really wants it to be a church function- how is that NOT related to God? (Even though I never said it was.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because other than enforcement of a contract, government has no business in marriage at all. In the eyes of the law marriage should be a domestic partnership contract between 2 people, nothing more or less.

If the church chooses to to have special "man+woman only" that is up to them but governments involvement should be purely legal.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

According to the USA today quiz, he says same-sex marriages shouldn't be allowed... and if he really wants it to be a church function- how is that NOT related to God? (Even though I never said it was.)

No one is saying abortions should be legal 1 second before birth, that's absurd.

Ron Paul is still awesome, but I think he'd be perfect if he'd change his Global Warming position (I don't trust the free market in that regard, maybe I'm wrong though) and immigration stance (not sure what to)

[/ QUOTE ]

The quiz isn't really the most accurate thing in the world. I think what they're refering to is his support for the DoMA which does define marriage as something between a man and a woman, but leaves it up to the states to accept or reject this and most have rejected it. His stance is very consistent with his other states right positions.

Not sure if you're talking to me about abortion or not. But he's personally pro life, but thinks it's a states rights issue.

I agree with you about global warming, but he's probably not going to change his stance on that. As the poster above said on immigration, Paul has said he'd be a little more of an open borders guy if we got rid of the incentives for illegals to come like welfare and the birthright citizenship. But he does believe in national sovereignty and securing the borders to fix the current problem. No candidate is perfect, and I'd challenge you to find one that is.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul doesn't want the government to decide marriages. He said this at the Value Voters debate that he wants government out of marriage and thinks it should be a church function. Abortion was pretty well covered by theseus. He doesn't want the federal government involved in abortions, but the states should be able to regulate it. He's a big Constitutionalist and defender of the 10th Amendment so that's why he thinks state government have that right. And that's consistent with basically all of his other views. It's not hypocritical at all and I don't see what his believing in God has anything to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quiz got his same sex marriage stance wrong. He is against the federal government forcing states without same sex marriage to recognize same sex marriage in other states. He would never support an amendment banning same sex marriage. It is a state issue that the federal government does not need to intervene in.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quiz got his same sex marriage stance wrong. He is against the federal government forcing states without same sex marriage to recognize same sex marriage in other states. He would never support an amendment banning same sex marriage. It is a state issue that the federal government does not need to intervene in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That moves him up a lil' higher [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 AM

A friend sent me another version of the same idea.

This one's a little different since there are more issues, but you just say yes or no to whether you support each one, along with high, medium or low importance.

I had no idea, but apparently Mike Gravel is my guy. I also thought it was interesting that more people are aligned with Gravel than with any other single candidate (you can see the results without taking the survey).
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Did anyone else notice the USA Today poll screwed up Giuliani's answer to the tax reform issue? The quote they attribute to him on the tax question is the same one they use for the second health care question. If you voted to "scrap the entire system" it shows that you agree with Giuliani, even though he should fall under "make Bush's tax cuts permanent."
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Kucinich, Gravel and Dodd. Never heard of the latter two, certainly Kucinich is closest to me politically.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 PM

I got Ron Paul, Mike Gravel & Duncan Hunter on this one (guess I'm a champion of the underdogs)

Took this other poll (with better worded questions IMO) and was aligned with Bill Richardson. Go figure.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/pro...php?race_id=13