Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Default what level of deepness does set-mining (w/ 22-55) become too dangerous

I think most people will agree that bottom set mining is very profitable at 200-500bb deep

but at what point does it become dangerous where the following things are likely to factor in:

1. so deep that you'll never get a big pair to pay you off

2. its too deep to risk losing to set over set or boat to a bigger boat

at say 1000bb, would it be -EV to call a 10bb rr after someone opens to try to hit the set

at 2500bb??

i thought it was an interesting question

i also dont really come here often and will be totally oblivious if this has been discussed 1000 times...so if thats the case get your flames over with until the topic fades away
Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: what level of deepness does set-mining (w/ 22-55) become too dangerous

Ciaffone and Reuben's book on Pot-Limit and No Limit Hold 'em has a section about this topic in which they advocate folding small pairs, like 22-55, in early position for extact the reasons you describe.

I don't know that they're ever bad to play if you have position and you have a feel for the guy(s) betting out in front of you. But, OOP, clearly they felt that the limits they were playing in the games described in that book warrant an EP open fold with these hands.

I don't have the book with me right now. Anybody have a copy of that book to say what kinds of stacks they were talking about?