Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Live 200NL - 88, donked into on the Q turn

It was about 3am and this was a great game. Lots of chatter about banging chicks, sports, and even prop betting and side bets going on. If anyone is paying attention, which I'm pretty sure they are not, I'm a nit.

I get 88 on the button and raise to $20. I'm called in 2 places. In MP by probably the best player in this game, and in CO by the worst.

MP showed up about an hour ago and is playing a tight aggressive game. Hasn't said a word to the table. I don't think anyone else has noticed him but I'm pretty sure he's the ringer here. I've played one hand since he's sat down, raising to $20 in MP then c/fing the flop 4-ways when AK whiffed.

CO has been there longer than me and is just a POW. Very loose, can make big bets, but doesn't like folding. There's a reason he's on my immediate right.

Effective stacks are about $400.

Flop comes T56, two spades. I don't have a spade. $60 pot.

Action checks to me and I bet $40. MP calls, CO folds (damn).

Pot is $140 and the turn comes a red queen. MP leads for $80.

Auto-fold? It really felt like I was facing a big hand, maybe AQ, KQ, 55, or 66. But I was a bit thrown off because this is the one player at the table who could pull off a float. Is there any reason to take a stand here, playing a tricky player when you're image is weak? I know its player dependent, but how often is this a move?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Live 200NL - 88, donked into on the Q turn

yes, auto-fold.
no.
rarely.

You can't beat anything he has except for the few times that you hit a 1-2 outer on the river.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM

My first guess is QsKs. I will read this again later and see if I change my mind. I most likely eliminate AQ - you don't think he is raising AQ pre? I expect a c/r if MP flops a set on that board, or at least I see it a lot more than a flop call and donked turn (but he did bet it right if holding a set).

Here, shuffle your chips rapidly, shake your head in disgust, stare him down like you want to call but are making the laydown of your lifetime and obvi-fold.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Yeah, it took me two seconds to fold this, but afterward it struck me it was a perfect spot for a float and it just stuck in my head.

OK, since that one was so easy, I'm going to hijack my own thread with another hand that is hopefully also easy. Just need a line check here:

Same game about 5am. Villain sat in about 1/2 hour ago, red-eyed and half incoherent. Bought in for $80 and went all in blind his first hand, 55 > QJs and doubled up. Hasn't gotten out of line since, but is still fairly new to the table. Effective stacks are $180.

He limps for $4 from MP, fish calls in CO, I call on the button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls. The pot is ~$12 after rake, and the flop comes:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP bets $10, fish folds, I raise to $25, BB fold, MP calls. Pot is $62 and the turn makes the board:

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP checks to me, I bet $50, he c/r all-in for ~$150, I call.

Completely standard, right?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:12 AM

Ooh, I like easy ones.

OP is an auto-fold, magnified by the fact that if there was ever a time to float, it's never going to be with CO in the pot behind him.

Second hand: Did you have a plan behind the near min-raise on the flop? Possibly to buy a free turn card if you missed? If not, then I prefer to raise the flop to $35-$40. Turn bet/call is standard against anyone who is capable of blind-shoving.