Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Berating fish in your head/out loud

Is it acceptable to berate fish if it serves as a release of emotion/anger as long as I'm not typing it in the chat? Or should we fundamentally avoid it regardless of the situation?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Berating fish in your head/out loud

You know this question comes up almost everyday? I use to get so mad and pissed off when people would make bad calls and/or draw out on me. Use to get nasty. However, you really never think about how many times you pissed off somebody else on making an "iffy" call or drawing out on somebody. I don't berate anybody AT ALL any more. Why would I want a fish to leave anyway? I had people stone drunk, about to fall out there chair and hit bad hands on me. Do I berate that person? Nope. I buy him/her another drink and get ready to tear them apart. Poker is a lucrative game. You want to keep suckers or bad players at your table. You swearing at other players and not chatting just shows that you will be going on tilt shortly. You get hit by a donk do some push ups, situps, or just walk away from the screen for a bit.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM

I was looking for something a bit different. I realize all the implications of berating fish & I DON'T do it to them at all. I only do it for comic relief/anger release in my head or out loud if I am playing online. Should I still avoid this because of the fundamental implications of berating fish or is it acceptable because it works as a release/anti-tilt tool for me?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:43 PM

don't berate the fish. they let you win w/o having to think very hard.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM

I think you guys are missing his point. Pretend the OP is playing online and has no chat. A dizzonk draws out on him in heinous fashion. There is no one else in the room, and let's assume that after the hand is over, the OP will talk to himself. This is a given. Should he say (to himself) nice hand friend, or f.uckckckckc, fu.ckking donky f.ucker i hate him a;sjgnasdgbuiawerogbuasdgbasdg!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, I really don't think it matters. For your own sanity though, you might want to try not talking to yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm glad someone actually read what I wrote [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Yes, Erac has it right. I'm not really berating the fish...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:22 PM

i prefer a qucik slamming of the fist on the desk or maybe throwing the hat im wearing across the room ...or a quick mother [censored] then back to buisness
Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it acceptable to berate fish if it serves as a release of emotion/anger as long as I'm not typing it in the chat? Or should we fundamentally avoid it regardless of the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

It fundamentally makes a massive emotional difference that can be the deciding factor between solid and breakeven play. Maybe an lengthy and eloquent response would reveal the precise strategic implications; however, I think the point can be made quite simply: focusing on the way his actions make you feel will surface emotions of guilt, pity, and/or anger, each of which prevents you from focusing on the exploitive adjustments required to extract maximal profits.