Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Are baseball umpires getting help from the booth?

[ QUOTE ]
I like the ambiguity of balls/strikes. Everything else should have replay.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about those chops down the line that bounce just over the bag (or maybe a few inches outside of it) that no camera angle ever shows definitively- other than a hypothetical direct overhead shot or some kind of base-cam- and even the ump makes a blind guess on most of the time? Review the different angles of it endlessly? And then if it were deemed fair after being called foul on the field...double? Triple if it's a fast batter on a hit down the 1st base line? But what if Delmon Young is in right? Just give the batter second?

How about balks where a lefty brings his foot barely behind the rubber (maybe? angle again) before throwing to first? Check it every time?

The "neighborhood" swipe by middle infielders on double play balls? Not to mention I'm pretty sure Kevin Millar's foot comes off the bag a split-second early on about 25% of all routine groundouts. Enforce that stuff to the letter?

Check swings? Go to replay?

Bloop into short right field, runner on 1st thinks it will fall so heads to second, RF dives and comes up with it but ump rules it a trap, runner heads to third, RF overthrows third and runner scores. But replay shows it was a catch (which would have probably resulted in an easy DP). Again, where do you put the runner?

I can see replay to decide home runs, but that's about it.