Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 PM

Default LV trip report June 5-7

We decided to drive out to Vegas from the Seattle area Monday evening. Driving this distance is one of those things that you do once and if you're smart, never again. The drive was long, and the rental car was a yellow Chevy Cobalt with only 27K miles, but was a extreme POS. The steering wheel shook when I applied the brakes, the suspension was crap, and the windshield wipers needed replacement. The Chevy Cobalt is, except for some of the Dodge's and Fords out there, is a microcosm of the sad state of affairs in Domestic car quality. (I drive an 07 Toyo Taco). Couple this with the aggressive nature of California drivers and it made for a rough trip, but at least we got to drive by Stockon, CA, one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen.. The trip took about 22 hours.

Ok, on to the poker action: The first place I played at is the Bellagio, and signed up for the 2-5NL. The list was long, but suprisingly, the wait was only about 30 minutes. The game was OK, with about 3 Armenian(At first, I thought they were Gypsy) sitting at the table and one guy was a dead ringer for Joe Pesci in his Goodfella days. They were all pretty weak players, but there were a few decent players at the table. One kid I thought was a Swedish guy because he looked European and didn't say much and looked angry, but he spoke with an American accent, so my assumption was incorrect. I had some decent hands, but didn't get much action. On one hand, I had 56o in the BB and a guy who resembled a plump Erkle was in MP bet out on a flop of 34J with two spades bet out 15. Big Erkle was new at the table and was firing at a lot of flops and won a giant pot vs. AA when his JT hit for Quads. The Turn was a 3. He fired out 25 and I CR him to $100 and he thought for a few seconds and folded. A few hands later he asked me if I had a 3 and I told him yeah, I had A3 of spades and got lucky, lol. There was a loudmouth at the table who thought he was pretty good. In one hand I was not in, he was CR by one of the Armenians and then proclaimed he was laying down the best hand, lol. Then a few hands later, I get AJs in EP, I limp in and the loud mouth calls, and an Asian guy raises. the loudmouth and I call. The flop comes all rags and it checks around on the flop and turn. I decided nobody wants the pot so I fire out $75 and of course, the loud mouth proclaims he's laying down the best hand. he folds and asian guy lays down his AQ, I show the AJ and the loudmouth says I knew you had nothing(he had 33), and went on to tell me he knew I had nothing by the way I bet my chips. (fwiw, i'm not too swift with handling chips). I then said well, if you knew I had nothing you should have called. He then said he didnt want to call $75 and be wrong lol. Not much else happening and it was about 4:30 AM and I was tired and was cool with a modest win of $217.

Hit the Rio the next day and witnessed the circus atmosphere. Of couse there were lots of poker celebs everywhere. I think the hottest chicks in the joint were two gals in light blue daisy dukes wearing tight white t-shirts with their melons amost busting out. I'm not sure who they were representing, does anyone know? I wanted to play the cash games, but the list was unbearably long so we passed.

I hit the Bellagio again and play some more 2-5NL. The table i was at was pretty bad. There were too many decent players and in retrospect, I probably should have asked for a table change. But regardless of the table, I was card dead for a long time, mucking hand after hand with monsters like Q4o and 62o. If I got a hand like 78s, I swear it looked like two black aces. Toward the end of the session I won a pretty big pot with AK when I outkicked the other guy. Grinded out another modest win of $228, which considering the patience I exhibited and not going on tilt was quite satisfying.

The next day I hit the Venetian and played some 2-5NL. The table I was at was an absoulute rock garden with a bunch of nitty locals sitting there. I was up $2 and decided to leave. After talking to a guy at the Bellagio, he told me there were "hella donks" at the Rio cash games and decided to make another go at it. He said the wait shoudlnt be too long, that once tables broke up in the tournies, they wouldb be used for cash games. The game was indeed juicy, filled with passives and one weak LAG who juiced up the pots.

Won a big hand w/ the nut flush w/ AQs when I hit the 3rd heart hit the river. Sometimes it's nice to suck out on someone else for a change. A few hands later. I find 88 in EP and limp in, the button raises to $35(the weak LAG), I call along with 3 others - $140 in the pot. The flop comes AJ8 w/ two diamonds. I fire out $130, it's folded to the EP to my right and he goes all in for his last $223 and flips over AK. My set holds up to the river and the guy gets up and kicks his chair and leaves, lol. A few guys at the table said they were rooting for me because the guy was a real jerk to everyone, prior to my arrival. Apparently he made a big stink about some guy sucking out on him and some other minor stuff. A few crazy Asian LAGs enter the table along with some nits, so I get up and leave. I cashed out for exactly $1100 for a win of $600. But the most interesting hand I saw was when one guy, a solid ABC player, raises in EP, gets one call from Asian LAG, and then the weak LAG pops it to $200. Initial raiser folds and the Asian dude pauses for a very brief second and calls. The flop comes down 348r and the Asian guy goes all in for his remaining $250-$275. LAG instamucks and the Asian guy flips over 77. He said he went put the guy on AKs and went with his read and gambled with it. I don't think I'd call a $200 reraise w/ 77, but those Asians love to Gambooool.

A few observations: Bellagio has nice looking waitresses, especially the Eastern European gal(I'm guessing she's from Eastern Europe, but I could be wrong). The only thing that soured my experience at the Bellagio was the grumpy floorman. I didn't know what table to go to, then he glared at me and told me where to go in a rude tone of voice. Cripes what a grumpy old fart!!

Venetian waitress uniforms are ridiculous, but anyone with a camel toe fetish would rejoice.

CrazyHorseToo: Not a bad strip joint, but the drinks are too expensive. I have to say that the gals there aren't the hottest, but they're sleazy and really do a good job in trying to lure you in the private room. I just don't see the point of having to pay for her overpriced drink when you already have to spend $$$$$ to go in there. Suffice to say, my big head overruled the little one, and I declined. Making you pay $30 when you go in the VIP/private room was the deal breaker.

The games: the games are good, except the Venetian is nitty during the day, but others have told me it gets good at night when everyone is lubed up. Of course, to ensure more profits, excercise good table selection!